Chapter 4: Weather Patterns

Start from the beginning

Tessa had felt a bit worried about him when she first heard the song. He had a weather motif running through a lot of his lyrics, but she couldn't help noticing more cloudy days than sunshine in the recent stuff. He could joke all he wanted, but she knew that song wasn't really about a day at the beach. It was about getting burned.

But obviously she'd read way too much into it. There was nothing wrong with Eric Thorn's mental state. This tweet just now didn't come from someone riddled with depression and anxiety. No, those words came from a guy who was sensitive. Thoughtful. Someone who really cared about his fans' feelings. Most celebrities wouldn't have bothered.

She could just picture him, typing it out and then watching his phone light up with the replies. All those words of love pouring back at him. No doubt he had that crooked grin of his plastered on his face as he basked in the adoration. He deserved it too. Every word.

Where was he right now, she wondered. Probably not the beach, but somewhere luxurious at least. Maybe lounging in the backseat of a limo with heated leather seats.

Was he watching his phone, right at this moment? She felt a reluctant smile curve her own lips at the thought. She abandoned the tweet she'd been composing and hastily tapped out a new one:

@EricThorn You sweetiepie. SMILE IF YOU SEE THIS! #EricThornObsessed

With that, Tessa flicked over to her music app and slipped in her earbuds, unwilling to let her mental image die just yet. She closed her eyes and sighed with satisfaction at the sound of Eric's voice singing the poppy opening hook.

Come on and soothe this sunburn.

Baby take away my pain. . . .

She could almost see him now - looking at his phone when her reply came up. The grin on his face grew just a shade brighter as he read it.

***

Eric scowled down at the tweet he'd just sent:

Eric Thorn (@EricThorn)

Follow spree complete. Don't be upset if I missed you. I love each and every one of you more than you could ever know.

Did they actually buy it when he put on his sugary sweet I-love-my-fans act? Apparently so, by the looks of his Notifications tab, lighting up with thousands of new replies.

His scowl grew a shade deeper as he watched them rolling in.

Maybe he should write a song about it, he thought bitterly. A nice, sappy ballad about how much he loved his fans. Call it. . . Snowflakes. Yeah, that was good. Special Snowflakes.

I watch the snowflakes falling

Too many for me to see

But I know each one is beautiful

Special and unique.

God, that was awful. The label would probably love it though. They could release it in time for Christmas, and the fans would eat it up with a spoon. Well, assuming anyone actually listened to his music anymore. . . and had the mental capacity to understand a simple metaphor. . . .

He snorted. Who was he kidding? Anyway, a song like that would only serve to spur their obsession further. Just like this tweet of his. He eyed it again now with a stab of regret. Why had he just sent that? It would only egg them on.

But he had to do it, he told himself. It was a matter of survival at this point. No telling what kind of deranged lunatics might be following him. He had to keep leading them on, telling the what they wanted to hear - even if it meant lying through his teeth.

***

"Tessa? Are you there?"

Tessa's eyes popped open and her head snapped around in alarm. Her daydream of Eric reading her tweet vanished in a flood of panic at the sound of the voice behind her. She yanked out her earbuds with a harsh intake of breath.

"Tessa? Are you OK, babe?"

Scott, her boyfriend since sophomore year of high school, peered back at her uncertainly from just inside the bedroom door.

"Scott," Tessa replied with a hiss, once she could finally breathe again. "You scared me!" She clenched a fist and pressed it to her chest. "Do you have any idea what that does to me?"

"Sorry. I knocked. I wasn't sure you were in here."

She crinkled her forehead in confusion. Not in here? Was that supposed to be a joke? And how many times did she have to tell him not to surprise her from behind? Every time he did it, she ended up having nightmares and flashbacks for days.

Scott lowered his gaze to the phone Tessa held in her lap. With her hands still shaking slightly, she tapped the music app closed. She didn't want him to see whose song she'd just been playing on repeat.

"Nothing," she said. "Just listening to music."

"Honestly, Tess. I don't know how you stay cooped up in here all day. I would lose my friggin' mind."

Tessa's mouth fell open in disbelief at her boyfriend's unthinking words. Had he really just said that to her? Was he even trying to understand what she was going through? No wonder she spent all her time fantasizing about a celebrity. Eric Thorn didn't even know she existed, and yet he seemed to care about her feelings way more than the guy who supposedly loved her for real.

"Wow, Scott," she started to say. "Thanks for the support."

But she forced herself to swallow the words before they were out of her mouth. She shouldn't snap at Scott. At least he still came to see her, right? She couldn't afford to alienate him - one of three people in the entire world that she felt safe enough to allow inside her bedroom door. Aside from her mother and her therapist, Scott was the only person Tessa had spoken to in months.

Tessa knew it couldn't be much fun for him either, having a total head case for a girlfriend. His life kept moving forward the whole time she remained locked up here in her room. He was about to enter his second year at the local community college, with a whole new set of friends that Tessa had never even met. And Tessa knew some of them must be female. Some of them must be cute. He could have easily left her behind and moved on to greener pastures, but he'd remained by her side throughout the whole ordeal. She needed to remember that.

He grinned at her now and kicked off his shoes as he came to sit beside her on the bed. Tessa forced herself to smile in return. She rested her head on his shoulder and laced one arm around his waist.

With her other arm, she silently set her phone back on the nightstand, face down - any new notifications for @TessaHeartsEric safely out of her boyfriend's line of sight.

Dear Readers:
If you're enjoying the story, please don't forget to VOTE, COMMENT, and ADD it to your public reading lists. Thank you! <3

P.S. Did you know @TessaHeartsEric is a real twitter account? If you're on twitter, please follow her!

{Banner Image thanks to VictoriaKaer}