Intro

~HOW IT ALL BEGAN~

-14 years ago-

A baby's cries echoed through the empty hallway.

It screamed and screamed, its voice striking terror within any living being close enough to hear it.

The tone... It was as if the baby was being torn apart.

"What's going on?!" A man asked, panic stricken, "Why is she not moving?!" He demanded, eyes violently trailing over a woman's unmoving body, "Doctor?! What happened?!"

He received no answer.

The baby's cries didn't stop.

"Honey...?" The man mumbled out, waiting for the woman's eyes to open, "Can you look at me...?" He placed his hand onto her cheek.

There was no warmth radiating from her pale skin.

"Darling? Kyoya and... and..." he tore his gaze away from her face and glanced at the thrashing baby in the doctor's arms, "Yuma... need you. Love? I need you..."

The stench of iron filled his senses.

The baby's cries didn't stop.

One of the nurses placed her hand atop the man's shoulder, "Sir...? I'm sorry, but she-!" She pulled her hand back as if burnt, taking a small step back. Her eyes soon went wide in terror as she stared at the man's own.

"She suffered..." the man whispered, his fingers convulsing as he pulled them away from his wife's cold ones, "She was in so much pain..." he grit his teeth, vibrant silver eyes staring at the baby in the doctor's arms, "All because of-!"

The door behind them slid open and short arms wrapped around the man's legs, "Papa! It hurts!" A boy, so small he probably wasn't even in school yet, exclaimed, hiding his face in the man's pants.

The man's eyes softened at the sight of him, "Kyoya..." he placed his hand on the boy's head, ruffling his ebony locks, "I apologise, Kyoya."

A shrill cry made the small boy look up, pale, silver eyes wide in wonder, "Is that...?" He whispered, already looking at the small bundle in the doctor's eyes.

The man harshly swallowed, biting back the words he was about to say, "Yes... That is Yuma." He answered, not daring to look at the crying baby.

"What about Mama?" Kyoya asked, stepping around the man's legs, "Is Mama happy?" The small boy asked, but before he could look up at the hospital bed, the man stepped in front of him, shielding him from the sight, "Papa? What's wrong...? Why are you... sad?" Kyoya tilted his head, staring up at the man.

He received no reply.

"Sir... I'm sorry for your loss, but you need to sign some papers concerning the baby." The doctor said, handing the baby over to the terror-stricken nurse. She took the baby with shaky hands.

The stench of blood didn't go away.

The baby's cries didn't stop.

"Kyoya, wait for me outside." The man said.

"Papa? But you're sad, remember what Mama said? When someone is sad, you do your best to make them happy!" The boy grinned, showing his small teeth.

"Kyoya, I said wait for me outside." The man clenched his fist, fighting back the emotions that threatened to overwhelm him. That threatened to eat him from the inside out and leave nothing behind.