XX. Hogsmeade

By the time they were done with their detentions, James was beginning to regret that Transfiguration was his best subject. After a week of detention in McGonagall's classroom, James was convinced he never wanted to see it again.

Sirius, however, had developed a great love for Hagrid. He said that the gamekeeper was completely insane, but completely cool.

"He's amazing!" he said as he came back to the common room after his last detention. "Absolutely off his rocker, but amazing!"

Remus laughed. "Is he breeding some bizarre new animal?"

"He's trying," Sirius admitted. "I don't think he's had any success yet, though. At least I hope not. His combinations are a little scary."

"Well, I'm glad someone enjoyed their week of detention," James grumbled. "If I ever have to clean out one more animal's cage for McGonagall, I think I may explode!"

"And then someone would have to clean up little pieces of James," Sirius laughed. "And I never said I enjoyed detention. Hagrid had me tramping through the Forbidden Forest with him every night. Talk about feeling a bit unsafe!" He grinned. "What about you, Remus? How was detention with Professor Sprout?"

Remus held up a heavily bandaged hand. "Did you know that plants can bite?"

Peter bounced over to them, excitement oozing out of every pore. "You're back!"

"Are we?" Sirius asked sarcastically. "I would never have known without your help."

Peter waved aside his comment, and continued talking. "Did you see the new notice on the bulletin board?"

"About the Quidditch tryouts?" James asked. He had watched Adam hang it earlier.

"No, about the first Hogsmeade weekend!" Peter exclaimed.

"Hogsmeade! Already?" Remus cried. "Oh, I can't wait to go. My parents said it's fascinating. They were really excited about signing my permission form."

"Mine were the same way," James agreed. "Zonko's sounds like the best place on earth!"

"Yeah, it should be cool," Peter said. He turned to Sirius. "Aren't you excited?"

Sirius frowned. "I never got a permission form."

"What do you mean?" James frowned.

"Well, I was at your house, and I only got my letter with my books and stuff. I never got a permission form."

James looked worried. "You can't go to Hogsmeade without a form," he said. "That's what it said in the letter."

"Really?" Sirius asked. "Why didn't I get one, then?"

"That's really weird," Remus said, looking puzzled. "Go ask McGonagall about it."

"Oh, yeah, that's smart," Sirius said sarcastically. "It's my last night of detention, but I'll go find McGonagall after curfew to ask about my permission form for Hogsmeade. That's a good plan, Remus."

"Temper, temper," Remus said, shaking his head. "Look, Mr. Attitude, why don't you ask her about it after class tomorrow?"

***

The next day, Sirius waited until the end of Transfiguration to approach Professor McGonagall. The other boys waited in the hall, wanting to hear the final verdict.

"Professor?"

"Yes, Mr. Black?" Professor McGonagall looked up from the papers she was shuffling on her desk, and peered at him over her glasses.