XLII. Seventh Year

“James! Sirius! Your Hogwarts letters are here!”

“Oh, just what I’ve been waiting for,” Sirius said sarcastically. “Do we have to go back?”

“Yes, you prat,” James laughed. “You need your N.E.W.T.s, Mr. Auror.”

“Don’t remind me.” Sirius shuddered. “I hate the idea of my whole future hinging on those tests.”

“At least you know what you want to do with your life. I’m starting to think that I don’t have any direction.”

“I thought you were going to be an international Quidditch star.”

James laughed. “Believe it or not, Harold and Margaret didn’t take that too well. In fact, they said that I have to come up with something else or face being disinherited!”

Sirius laughed with him. “Your parents wouldn’t disinherit you.”

“They’d probably leave their money to you. I swear, sometimes I think you’ve become their favorite son.”

“Yes, well, I am following in your dad’s footsteps as an Auror.”

“Bully for you.”

“Don’t be mad at me because you can’t choose a career!”

“I’ll find something,” James said as they entered the kitchen where two Hogwarts owls were perched on the counters. “I just need more time to decide what I want to do with my life.”

“It had better not include playing professional sports,” Mrs. Potter said with a slight frown.

“Oh, Mum,” James sighed. He took his letter from the owl. “Thank you.”

The owl hooted, and took off through the open window, followed closely by the owl carrying Sirius’ letter. Mrs. Potter looked at the boys expectantly.

“Well, go on and open them. If you want to go to Diagon Alley to go shopping today, we can.”

“Should we go now, or wait until Remus and Peter can go with us?” Sirius asked as he opened his letter.

“Let’s wait for them,” James said, breaking the seal on his own letter. “This is the last time we’ll get to shop for Hogwarts stuff. It seems like we should go together.” He pulled two pieces of parchment from the envelope.

Mrs. Potter nodded. “That’s a good point.”

James read over his booklist. Nothing looked too out of the ordinary. He passed it to his mother, who was ready to snatch it out of his hands to read it. He glanced down at the second piece of parchment, and felt his stomach drop out of his body. The color drained from his face, and his eyes grew to the size of saucers.

“Prongs?” Sirius said. “What’s up, mate? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

James looked up at Sirius and his mother, his eyes open incredibly wide. “I’m Head Boy,” he whispered.

“What?” they exclaimed in unison.

“I’m Head Boy,” James said again, looking back down at the letter. “It says so right here. I have to report to the Head car on the Hogwarts Express to get my instructions. I’m Head Boy.” He passed the letter to his mother as though in a daze.

“Are you making this up?” Sirius asked with a laugh.

“Could I?” James asked, looking up again to face him.

Sirius noted the lack of humor in his friend’s eyes, and his own eyes grew round. “Wow. Congratulations, mate!”

“Oh, James!” Mrs. Potter exclaimed. She put the letter down on the counter, and hugged her son close. “I’m so proud of you! I can’t believe it! My little Jamie, Head Boy!”