I. The Journey Begins

"Well, are you all packed?"

"Yes!" James Potter exclaimed, nodding his head enthusiastically. "When do we leave for King's Cross tomorrow, Dad?"

"Well," Mr. Potter said, frowning in mock concentration, "how about eleven?"

"The train leaves at eleven!" James cried.

"Don't tease him, Harold," Mrs. Potter interjected. "We'll leave around nine thirty, James," she continued, turning to her son. "That will give us plenty of time."

"Okay," James agreed. A look of concern crossed his face. "I'm going to like Hogwarts, right?"

"Of course you will!" his father exclaimed. "You won't believe all there is to learn. And, you'll make wonderful friends."

James thought of the friends he already had. He wished they were going to Hogwarts. He was particularly sad to leave Danny, his best friend.

"Why so sad?" Mrs. Potter asked, watching her son's face fall.

"I just wish Danny was coming, too," James said in a small voice.

Mrs. Potter took his face in her hands. "I know you'll miss him," she said. "I wish that he could go with you, too."

She did not mention that she and her husband had been watching Danny closely ever since he and James had become friends at the age of six, trying to see some sign of magic in him. They knew that his parents were Muggles, but had hoped that Danny himself might be a wizard. James would have loved to have gone to Hogwarts with his playmate. But Danny was not magical, and James would attend Hogwarts without his friend of five years.

"None of the first years will have friends yet," Mr. Potter said, gripping James's shoulder. "Half the fun of first year is making friends." He smiled. "Your mother and I met during our first year."

Mrs. Potter smiled as well. "We met - but we weren't friends until third year."

"Why third year?" James asked.

"We each had our own set of friends," Mr. Potter said. "But in our third year, we had to work together. I needed a Transfiguration tutor, and your mother was the best in our year in Transfiguration."

"And I needed help in Defense Against the Dark Arts, which was your father's best subject."

"So we agreed to tutor one another. And that's how we got to know each other." Mr. Potter smiled. "But the time we hit fifth year, I was glad I had had so many problems in Transfiguration."

"Oh, you," Mrs. Potter said, waving her hand at him.

"Is Transfiguration really hard?" James asked nervously.

"Not really," Mrs. Potter replied.

"But Dad had trouble with it." His face grew even more anxious.

"It wasn't my strongest subject," Mr. Potter admitted. "But your mother was fantastic in it. Sometimes I think she could even give Professor Dumbledore a run for his money," he finished with a teasing grin.

"Oh, Harold, don't tell him such lies!" Mrs. Potter said. "Dumbledore is the most amazing wizard this world has seen for centuries."

"But were you really fantastic, Mum?"

"I did well enough," she said. "But I think you'll be a star in Transfiguration, James."

"Why?"

"Don't you remember what Mr. Ollivander said about your wand?"

"It's good for transfiguration?" James shuddered at the memory of Mr. Ollivander. The old man made him feel rather odd.