Kiyi seemed disappointed she had to go but in the end, she did what her mother asked her to. The turtle ducks gathered around the food at once as the girl moved over to Ursa who turned to Homura just before they were about to leave.

"Thank you for taking care of her."

Homura sent her a smile as she nodded in return. She sent a small wave at Kiyi as she walked away and then, finally alone, she leaned back against the truck of the tree behind her and closed her eyes. She had almost relaxed completely when she heard someone running and opened her eyes, only to catch sight of Ty Lee and Mai. Her eyebrows furrowed at once as she followed them with her eyes. For both of them to be running, she was certain something was wrong. She pushed herself up as quickly as she could and followed after them.

"What's going on?" she panted as she caught up to them a while later. Ty Lee briefly turned to face her as she replied.

"There's been a prison break. Help us catch them."

Homura didn't need to take a look at Mai's expression to know she disapproved of Ty Lee's suggestion but nevertheless, she nodded and followed after them. They had gotten to the prison a while later, and gasping for breath, Homura stopped while Mai looked around them. Footsteps were seen down a path. She pointed in that direction at once.

"This way."

They rushed after the escapees, and a while later, they caught sight of them. Homura and Ty Lee ran quicker as Mai started throwing daggers at them. They ducked and turned around to see them, and Homura could see their fear as she kept running. They started attacking at once.

She could feel the heat of fire coming closer and slid below it in the last second while Ty Lee jumped over it and kept going as if there had never been an obstacle in her path. Homura followed after her, Mai right beside her.

The prisoners kept attacking, focusing most of their attacks on Ty Lee, but she was agile and she ducked every time, gaining ground. Homura didn't even bother to hide her smile as Ty Lee finally reached them. From then on, things were easy.

By the time Homura had reached them, Ty Lee had taken down three out of the five escapees and Homura's work was almost too easy at this point. It only took about a minute to subdue her opponent and when she looked up, she noticed Mai had also taken her own opponent down. Ty Lee was standing in the middle with a wide smile, her hands on her waist, evidently proud of her work.

"Is that all, then?"

Mai took a quick look around before her eyes narrowed. "I was told six of them had escaped."

Homura hardly had the time to blink before the prisoner Mai had subdued was pushed against the ground, a dagger against his throat. Mai leaned over him with a glare.

"Where is the last one?!"

"Far away, by now," he smirked, not at all fazed by having a dagger pressed against his neck. "You'll never catch her."

Homura's prisoner let out a small groan as he attempted to sit up. She watched him closely as he looked down at his arms and attempted to firebend with no luck. His eyes widened as he looked up, his fear turning into surprise the moment he saw her. She narrowed her eyes at him.

"What is it?" Mai briefly turned to face Homura as she took a step forward, closer to the prisoner. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You-You look just like her!"

She growled as she reached down and forcefully pulled him up. "Mind your tongue."

She pushed him back down as Ty Lee turned to the prisoners she had subdued with a raised eyebrow. "Come on now, guys. Time to go back."

It was futile to attempt to escape and the prisoners were aware. There wasn't any resistance on their part as they led them towards the prison - without their bending, they didn't dare fight back - and once they were there and the guards had taken them, Mai led them to where Homura remembered was the warden's office. She burst through the door without knocking.

"How could you have let them escape?!"

Warden Lee seemed afraid as Ty Lee and Homura appeared from behind Mai, appearing stern as they backed her up. He stuttered an apology.

"I-I didn't know-"

"Of course you didn't!" she snapped as she took a few furious steps forward. "You let them escape and now Chiaki, probably the most powerful firebender in your prison, is once more free! Do you realise the extent of your mistake?"

"I'm-"

"There had been an attempt to kill the Fire Lord by the people Chiaki supports! You set after the Fire Lord the most notorious criminal in the Fire Nation!"

Warden Lee didn't say a word. Instead, he lowered his head, having nothing to say to defend himself. Homura watched, her face completely blank as Mai straightened up once more.

"The Fire Lord and I are going to have a long conversation about you, Warden Lee. Be sure that in case you are spared, it'll be because our Fire Lord is an incredibly forgiving man. If it were up to me, you would have been robbed of your position in an instant."

Without another word she whirled around and got out of the room. Homura stole one last look at the director's mournful expression before following after Ty Lee and Mai in the main corridor. A few guards nodded at Mai as she passed by and she nodded back as Ty Lee caught up with her and the moment they were alone, spoke up.

"Don't you think you were too harsh, Mai?"

"Too harsh?" she questioned as she briefly turned to face Ty Lee. "I wasn't even harsh, that's what it's expected of him. Chiaki is an incredibly powerful bender, known for her determination and loyalty to Ozai's vision. Homura knows she's a real danger."

Homura didn't reply, her face an unreadable mask as they got out of the prison. She hadn't had to face her mother for almost ten years and now, when she had finally managed to get back home, her past was catching up to her once more. And part of her was terrified by the way things were turning out.

"But she was tricked by a ten-year-old child," Ty Lee pointed out as she leaned forward in an attempt to catch Homura's eyes. "How hard will it be for us to catch her?"

Mai raised an eyebrow. "And how do you know that?"

"Homura told me."

Mai appeared surprised - as surprised as Mai ever appeared - for a moment as she turned to Homura. "Ty Lee knows? I'm surprised you've told her."

"Ty Lee and Suki both know," she muttered as she looked up to face Mai first and then Ty Lee. "My mother is dangerous and if I know her at all, she will try to take down Zuko. We've got to protect him."

"Then we have to catch her," Ty Lee exclaimed, "that'll make things easier."

"There's no use, she could be anywhere," Mai pointed out as she looked in the distance where the palace could be seen. "Besides, she will come to us."

Homura let out a small sigh as she nodded. "We need to be vigilant. She's more dangerous than you might think."

Ty Lee could only frown as Mai turned to Homura and caught her eyes. For once, there seemed to be an understanding between them and Mai started to believe Homura was actually on their side.