Barcelona

General anesthesia is such a powerful discovery. How can vapor makes you unconscious in a matter of seconds? I am grateful not to feel the pain of surgery. Imagining how I could have felt the incision on my right thigh is scary. I would be screaming to the top of my lungs if I were awake while the wire was being inserted into my femoral artery up to my heart and eventually i to my brain where the aneurysm was.  Surely the pain will make me hysterical. I could recall how the anesthesiologist put the vapor atop my nose and once I inhaled it, I fell asleep.

Barcelona, Spain was the location. I was a soprano practicing a song with the pianist inside the basilica. Latin lyrics were exhaled from my angelic vocal chords. The pianist was looking at me with pride and admiration. I coughed. My lungs were inflated with blood.

"You have to see a doctor," the pianist said.

"I need to practice more. I will see a doctor after the mass tomorrow," I said.

The pianist started playing again and I belted out the notes praying I would not cough. My lungs allowed me to finish the song before I started coughing again.

The pianist took out a flask from a concealed shelf behind the piano.

"A few swigs will clear your throat for a few minutes," he said.

The taste of the liquor was bitter and hot but simultaneously rinsed the itchiness from my throat.

"I know you are only fifteen but I want to ask your father if we could be engaged."

"Engaged?"

"I want to marry you."

"Do you love me? I will marry you if you love me."

"I want to marry you. I have loved you since you were twelve."

"You do? I have loved you since I first saw you. I was ten. I was only ten but I knew I love you already. I told my father I want to train as an opera singer because I want to spend time with you."

"How can you ask me to marry you. You are already married."

"My divorce will be finalized soon." 

"Is it up to my father if we can be engaged? Aren't you supposed to ask me first?"