Instead he beats me...

I wiped away the stray tears as I walked up to the front door, I went to open the door only to have it slammed in my face in return. "OOH JASON!!" She shouted, right against the door.

Perfect.

I set the beers down, walking away from the house. As I did, I got a call on my phone. "Hello?"

"Hola hijo!" Abuela called through the phone, a smile crossed over my face at the sound of her voice. The nickname mad me smile too, she always told me that I was family, I was her son. Hence the name hijo. "Hola Abuela, What can I do for you?"

"Is there a chance you could come over please? Marco and Julia are staying for a while and I have to go out somewhere."

"Of course Abuela, I'll be over soon."

"Thank you hijo!"

"No problemo Abuela." I responded back, I may have picked up a little Spanish from being at Abuela's so much. I put my phone in my pocket before heading down the street towards Abuela's house. She had a beautiful white brick house with a red shingle roof, there were lots of windows and a small balcony. There was a draw dropping garden out back with big roses and a cute little fountain, Abuela had it made for her after her husband passed away three years ago.

I walked up to the door, knocking gently on the wooden door. Three seconds later, the door opened and a familiar face smiled up at me. "Liam!" Julia jumped into my arms, wrapping hers around my neck as she hugged me. I chuckled as I hugged her back. "Hey princess, how have you been?"

"Awesome! I got this new dress and it's really cute!!"

"Is it now?" I asked as I set her down, following her inside as I shut the front door behind me. "Abuela! Liam es aquí!" Abuela walked into the kitchen where I now stood, Marco came bounding in after her. "Liam!! What are you doing here?"

"Well, Abuela has to go out so I'll be watching you guys for a wee while." I said with a smile, Marco and Julia has smiles matching my own. "Yay!! Can we play video games?!"

"Only if Abuela is okay with it..." The three of us turned to Abuela, she smiled and nodded her head. The kids ran off to the living room while I stayed behind with Abuela for a second. "Gracias hijo. It means a lot that you could come on such short notice, I really appreciate it."

"Really Abuela, it's my pleasure, these kids are angels. But if you don't mind me asking, why must you leave so suddenly?" Abuela lowered her head, a sad look crossing over her wrinkled features. "My hija is in the hospital, someone found her in an alley way. She had been jumped a-and t-they- they raped her too..."

Abuela broke down into quiet sobs, breaking my heart as she held her head in her hands. I rushed over to her, pulling her into a hug. "Oh Abuela... those people who jumped her are horrible people, Mariá deserved better. But Mariá is strong, you have to trust that Abuela. Go see her, I'll look after Marco and Julia for as long as it takes. Go make sure Mariá is okay, she needs her mamá right now."

Abuela smiles up at me, giving me one last hug before wiping away her tears and grabbing her hand bag. "Gracias Liam." She said as she shut the door behind her, leaving me with the kids. I walked into the living room, Marco and Julia were playing Mario carts. I leant against the doorway, shoving my hands into my pockets as I smiled sadly at them. If only they knew the truth of why Abuela had to leave... that their mother was hurt and in hospital...

~~

I stood in the kitchen as Julia and Marcos watched tv. I pulled out my phone as I heard it ringing. "Hello?"