Chapter 5 - Down in the Sand

“Our boy! Our boy is back!” was the first thing Akaashi heard when he walked into the agency the next morning.

The lounge couches were filled with the usual crew, although it was rare to see everyone together at the exact same time.

In fact, it was rather unnerving. But it wasn't supposedly weird.

They had been called to a meeting by Ushijima, and so they should all be present.

Which really was unfortunate for himself if he thought about it.

Kiyoko occupied the kitchen where she was brewing coffee.

Matsukawa was the perfect fit for lying sideways in an armchair, legs popped over the side.

Kuroo and Oikawa sat very close together, heads ducked as they looked at something on Kuroos phone.

But they all swiveled their heads when Akaashi stepped back through the door.

“You told me he was dead?” Kiyoko raised an eyebrow in Matsukawas direction.

“And yet not one missed call on my phone from you” Akaashi made his way to the kitchenette.

“Thanks, Kiyoko” he rolled his eyes, and she leant in for him to give her a brisk kiss on the cheek.

“All in good comradery. I was dearly hoping to move up to first spot on Fukurodanis chain” Kiyoko brought her mug up and sipped the top delicately.

Akaashi reached up to the cupboards and pulled down a box of goldfish.

“Nuh-uh, check the list Shimizu” Oikawa sung, pointing over to the wall at the back of the room.

Akaashi peered over to where the list sat, a picture of them each sitting in a blue tacked line from top to bottom.

He was sitting second, Oikawa placed covertly first.

“How the heck do you keep moving yourself up to first, I never see you do it” Kuroo remarked, looking up from his phone and squinting at the very nonsensical list.

“Hey where is my picture?” Matsukawa uttered out, offended.

Akaashi dropped onto his favorite couch and ripped open the packaging of the box, delighted that the topic had been changed.

“I believe it's sitting on the floor” Kiyoko tutted and everyone eyes fell down to the carpet where a picture of a sneezing Matsukawa embellished the floor.

All the pictures of them had been printed by Oikawa and they were all personally the worst shots ever taken.

Akaashi believed his own picture was him hunkered over a pot of ramen noodles, sauce splattered over his face as he battled at an eating contest.

He had won by the way.

Proven right now by the way he was already a decent way into the box of crackers.

It wasn't his fault his metabolism was fast. If anything it was an irascibility.

“Actions hurt just as much as words” Matsukawa turned to pointedly look at Oikawa, who was pursing his lips and pretending to adjust his glasses.

“Just count it as revenge for yesterday” Oikawa clicked his tongue, holding his head high.

As if he hadn't walked into the agency yesterday looking like a wet bedraggled monster of the lake, mascara streaks down his face.

“A brilliant counter, I do myself” Matsukawa drawled sarcastically.

Oikawa clicked loudly in the back of his throat, eyes growing irritated.