Chapter 8: "The Flashback"

Days had passed. New friends were created. Old friends are getting closer and closer. Bad news and good were revealed. Best memories are done.

: Ariele’s P.O.V.:

                I was lying in my bed mesmerising the days where I and Zayn together. When I lost my best friend, I never thought I couldn’t find a friend anymore. Angela and I are friends since we were kids. After then, I treat her as my sister for I don’t have one. Now, she was lost, God didn’t let me live without a friend because there is Zayn guy in there. And I’m happy whenever I’m with him. I like him the way he treat me as if I was the centre of his world. I like him the way he stare at me, hold my hand and put his arm around my shoulder. I feel like I was safe and no one can harm me. And of course, the way he was concerned about me.

                It was Saturday. I was bored staying in my room the whole day, doing the stuffs I used to do. I went to the terrace to breathe some fresh air. I sat on the rocking chair when I saw a familiar figure out of our gate. He wave at me.  So, I hurriedly ran down the stairs and opened the gate.

                “Liam!” I hug him of gladness.

                “Oh! Hi there cutiepie!” he said as he pinch my nose.

                “We’d better get inside. No, I mean, up in the terrace.”

                He looked up and smirked. Then we went up there. We sat on the bench when we reached there.

                “So, what’s up?” He asked.

                “Nothing much.”

                “How about Angela?”

                My face turned to a sad one as I heard my best friend’s name. “Do we really need to talk about her?” I asked him trying to hide my emotions.

                “Not until you moved on. When will it be girl?”

                “I’ve moved on.”

                “No, you’re not! You’re still thinking, it’s your fault.” He insisted.

                “Because it really is!” I said in a high pitch voice. “I’m sorry.” I calm down myself.

                He put his arm around my shoulder and lay my head near his neck. “Listen to me. It is not your fault. You don’t know it will happen. Angela was a good swimmer. We both know that. That’s why we didn’t expect that to happen.”

                “I did have the chance to save her but I didn’t take it.”

                “You did have the chance? You just said you don’t know she’s losing her breathe after it happened.”

                “Yeah. But…”

                “That’s why! You know what really happened, right?” I simply nodded. “If the people are thinking it was all your fault, don’t mind them. What is important here is the truth. Anyway, she has a lung problem by that time. Her doctor has confirmed it. You already won. And sure, Angela was so happy for you.”

                “That’s it! I was being too selfish. For wanting to win, I lost my best friend. “

                “No! If it was really destined to happened, it will really happen. No one can stop it. Now you should stop thinking it was your fault. Okay?”

                “I want her back with me.” Tears roll down in my cheeks.

                “You know you can’t. Stop it!” He faced me and wiped my tears. “Don’t cry.”

                “But how?”  I said as I was trying to stop my crying.

                “You should stop it. Listen to me. Moved on. Angela will be sad if she saw you crying. You’re tough, right?” He laid my head in his shoulder.

                My tears fall down my cheeks. I can’t help it. So, I just let it until all my bad emotions burst from my heart. Liam was right. It was not my entire fault. It was meant to happen. I wiped my tears in my face and took a deep breathe.

                “What about Zayn?” Liam asked.

                “Zayn?” Now, I want to smile.  Mentioning his name was right to make my lips formed a gentle smile.

                “You heard it right.”

                “Him? What about him? We’re friends.” I smirked.

                “Really? What about your date? He’s always with you every day.”

                “He’s not with me now.”

                “Maybe not.” He looked into my eyes.

                “What?” I said instead with the way he looked at me. I was just confused

                “You’re in love.” He said directly to me.

                I blushed. Was that a question or a statement? That was a kick that I don’t know if I could take it. Even I can’t answer it. I just like him, and I know I did. But when we talk about love? I don’t know. I have to ask myself. Am I really in love?

                “Yes you are!” Liam exclaimed.

                “I’m happy when I’m with him. I like him the way he treat me, that’s all.” I confessed.

                “Love and like is different.” He stated.

                “I know. But ‘like’ is the first thing you feel about a person before you’ll love him.” I said.

                “So, you mean, his important to you now. Not only a ‘friend’.”

                “Yeah. I have to catch a bird for me to learn.” I smirked.

                “You should tell him before it’ll be late.” He smiled

                I was smiling with the thought. I don’t have to hide my feelings.

                “He’s here now.” Liam pointed his lips down the terrace.  I looked down. Then I saw Zayn behind the gate looking up to me and Liam. I stood up but he went away. I ran down the stairs and get out of our gate. I saw the guy on a distance, walking.

                “You should tell him what you feel!” Liam shouted from the terrace. I never mind.

                I called him. “Zayn!”

                He turned back with a knot on his forehead. And ran away.

                I ran after him. “Zayn wait!”