In Two Days Time

Theos

"Good morning, your grace." One of my servants greeted me with a warm smile. Her radiant red hair fell naturally in curls to her waist as her green eyes lit up the room. Belinda was one of the most beautiful women in our kingdom. I tried to marry her when I was a boy, but my father wouldn't have it. She was a dear friend of the family and one I kept near to my heart. Recently, her family fell upon financial distress and, in exchange for working in the palace, sought refuge, room, and board.

"Belinda, you're a friend, you don't have to address me with formality. Hell, you don't listen as a loyal subject anyhow." I smirked.

"True, but the law does say you can cut out my tongue if I address you as Theos." She quipped. "Still, I like to get a rise out of you. Do you prefer my liege? Your highness? Oohhh, a classic, your majesty?" She's laughing as she's gathering my linens. I watch her as I drink my coffee on the balcony.

"How about your excellence?" I grin. Her smile beams and her cheeks round- got her. "I like it."

"Jesus, you're full of yourself, today, aren't you?" She shakes her head, continuing to make the bed.

"Don't bring him into this." I scowl. "He's got nothing to do with vanity, that's my department."

"I think Cora is still sleeping. Shall I wake her?" Belinda smiled.

"No, she was up with-" I interrupted myself. "She had a late night." Belinda cocked an eyebrow in my direction before continuing her work.

A few hours pass before I walk to Cora's room, finding her asleep with Thedia in her arms. She looked angelic with a child curled into her. It warmed my heart. I walked quietly and carefully over to scoop Thedia into my arms, moving slowly, hoping not to wake Cora. As I scooped my hands under Thedia's back, a wail escaped her lungs, her eyes flew open, and her body squirmed and thrashed.

"Shh," I hushed, but it was too late. Cora's eyes flew open and she sat straight up, reaching her hands to hold Thedia. I pulled away and rocked the tiny child in my arms, cooing.

"I must've fallen asleep." Cora started.

"Go back to sleep, I've got her. I'm sorry I woke you." I smiled, rocking an already sleepy Thedia in my arms.

"No, it must be at least midday, err, night? Whatever. I gotta get up." She whispered.

"It's just past 11, but, you need your rest, Cora. We leave for the Far Forest, today, and it's quite a journey." I continued to bounce and coo as the baby drifted off to sleep.

"We can't bring her. They just sent her from there." Cora snapped.

"One of the servants will keep her. Belinda, I trust her." I move to place Thedia into a makeshift bassinet before Cora interrupted.

"I wouldn't-" Before she could continue, Thedia's cries filled the room yet again. "Here, I can hold her." She smiled, scooping Thedia back into her arms. "She's comfortable here." I froze, watching her rock Thedia, a smile creeping over her face. She was born for children. Anyone in this realm would be blessed to have her for their half-soul and, if I'm lucky, Nathadia is right. Maybe she's mine.

After a few seconds, Cora began singing a lullaby that I'd never heard. The melody was haunting, dancing around a minor key effortlessly.

In two days time, when the sun falls low

When water's flood and the moon won't glow

The darkest night falls upon your hair

Turn back, my love, and I'll be there

In two days time, when the world feels small

When mountains crumble and trees will fall

The darkest night falls upon your hair

In two days time, I'll still be there.

"Where'd you learn that?" I interrupted.

"I'm not sure, I remember hearing it as a kid. I don't really remember from who." She was smiling as Thedia's eyes fell heavy. While Thedia napped, we spend a few hours packing for our journey. Cora looked to me with great curiosity when I began preparing our survival packs.

"In just a couple of days, you'll find yourself standing before the great river. It's vastly beautiful, but equally deadly, Cora, and you can't be unprepared. The great river is incredibly difficult to navigate, Cora. Water is sacred in this kingdom and we do not take it lightly." I warn.

"I see." She pursed her lips and crossed her arms. "I'm a great swimmer." She continued.

"I'm afraid your swimming skills won't help you, here." I laughed. Quickly, we loaded a well armored truck, painted matte forest green to blend in with the evergreens and pines on our journey. The less attention we attract, the better.

"Something feels wrong about going, doesn't it?" She looked out the window toward the palace.

"You mean leaving Thedia?" I asked.

"No, I mean going to the Far Forest. I have a really bad feeling something is, like, super wrong." She paused. "But I also feel like I need to be there."

"Perhaps both feelings are correct? Cora, the far forest and great river are not safe places. For one, they're the furthest land from the palace and it's often chaotic and lawless. If I were Jace and I'd crossed over without my authorization, that's exactly where I'd hide. There's a group of soul thieves that would hide him easily and undetected. No one, including me, is safe in the far forest, Cora. The sooner you realize that, the better off you'll be. Stay alert, stay close. Safety in numbers." I didn't mean to scare her, but, the journey to the far forest was long and arduous and, frankly, the far forest was nothing to visit. Littered with old wooden shacks and scavengers; it's a pitiful excuse for living conditions.

"What's a soul thief?" Of everything I just said, that's what she's holding on to. This woman.

"They hunt and feed on souls to fuel their lifesource. They look for innocence and youth and corrupt it. They're very morally unsound and easily corruptible, themselves." I answered.

"So, why do people stay?" She asked.

"Because it's their home. The far forest used to be really amazing and magical before my father ruled. When my grandfather died, my father started using it as a place of exile for criminals and their families. Eventually, it became self-sustainable, but riddled with crime and chaos." I responded.

"And we think this is where Jace is?" She asked, I nodded. "Then we have no choice."