Just Waiting

The nurse sighs. The look on her face tells me that the news is not good.
"Well, as you know May was shot. She was alone and trying to get to a safe room and a rebel got close and fired. She was shot in the side just below the ribs. As of right now, she is in a emergency surgery. We don't know how long it will last. We will update you with new information as we get it."

In all of that she didn't say how crucial the situation was. It obviously can't be good if it's emergency surgery.
"How bad is the situation?" I ask before the nurse walks away.
"Well," she hesitates,"we aren't sure if she will make it through. I'm sorry," then she rushes away.
My mom breaks down in sobs and Kenna starts silently crying. I need to stay strong for this family. I can't let them see the queen cry any longer. I walk back to the seats and inform everyone. No one says a word. Just a little while ago everyone was so happy and joyous about the wedding. Now May might be gone. She is my best friend. I don't know what I would do without her. She is my rock. I tell her all my problems and she helps me through it. Now tears really are running down my face.
"Don't cry my dear," Maxon says. I can tell he is on the verge of tears too. He really likes May and she really likes him.
We all sit like this for about 4 hours. No one talking. People crying on and off. At one point Nicoletta comes by me to comfort me.
I'm dozing off with my head in Maxon's shoulder when I hear footsteps. The same nurse as before is walking towards us. The others start to notice and my mom, me, and Kenna practically run to her.
"May has survived," she says.
I practically cry in relief. A weight has been lifted off my shoulders. But there is always a but.
"The surgery went rather well, much better than expected. But, she will be down for awhile"
This won't be the most pleasant for May but she will be alive!
"When can we see her," Maxon says. I hadn't realized he had come up behind me.
"Well, you could actually see her now. She will begin to be conscience again in the hour."
"Thank you nurse Bridget," Maxon says. It still ceases to amaze me that he know ms almost every ones name that works here. There are just to many!

A different nurse comes and takes us to May's room. There are several machines hooked up to her, one of them being an i.v. She looks so peaceful. All I can think about is the immense pain she will be in when she wakes up. Being shot before, I know the pain. That pain on top of surgery must be unbearable. I must get used to pain if we plan to have kids though. Labor will not be fun.

May starts to stir and Maxon motions for a passing by doctor. She smiles when she firsts wakes up.

I hear my mom start to cry tears of relief.
"Don't cry," May manages to croak out. Her smile grows bigger when she sees the pile of cards the other wedding guests left for her. The bright smile soon falters and a grimace replaces it. She cries out in pain.
"Please give her some medicine," my mom pleads. She hates seeing others in pain.
The doctor leaves, promising to be back in a second with some kind of medicine.
I go over to May. She grips my hand in pain.
"It hurts," she says with tears in her eyes.
"I know baby, I know. It's almost over."
Thankfully, the doctor comes back in.
I see a needle and automatically turn away. I can't look at them. Blood isn't as big a deal, just needles. Maxon comes over and rubs my back soothingly.
"It's over," he whispers in my ear.
I feel like such a baby. I'm not even the one in pain! I slowly turn around. May has regained a look of peace on her face. I love the medicine here. Pain stinks.
"Hey baby girl," I say to May.
"Are you ok?" She asks.
That's May for you. Never caring about herself.
"I was just worried about you," I say stroking her face.
I guess the effects of passing out still show. No need to worry her with that.
We stay for a little longer and watch May rest.
A doctor comes in and smiles.
"Well your surgery went much better than expected," he says. "But, of course this was still very series. The medicine you are on could kill you if you are on it for over a week. You will be on it today and tomorrow. After that, you will be on some different medication. You will be in the hospital for one more week, then in a wheelchair for another, and on crutches for at least a month."
May grunts. She doesn't like being helpless.
"And, we would like you to stay in the palace until you are better. You will be right here with your doctors if anything happens."
This gets another smile out of May. I am so glad I will get to see her every morning when I wake up and every night when I go to bed. Everything will be just fine I say to myself. Just fine.