The Blacksmith

I looked around the shop, eyeing the weapons that hung along the wall. It didn't take long before my gaze drifted to several sets of pre-made armor.

"Whatcha be wanting?" Came a gruff voice behind me. I turned to see a short man, the top of his head barely at my chest. His arms were dark with soot as he put a blade into water near his forge. He grabbed a towel from his counter and wiped his arms clean, giving me a harried glance.

"I'm needing a set of armor." I motioned at his displays.

"Custom?" He squinted.

I quickly shook my head. "Can't afford it."

"Alright. Have a look," he suggested.

It took a moment, carefully perusing his wares, but I finally pointed to the Brigandine armor resting atop a Gambeson and mail shirt."May I try on t-that?" I asked.

"Your first set of armor, lad?" the smith asked, walking up to me.

"Is it that obvious?" I gave a sheepish smile.

He let out a bellowing laugh and clapped me on the shoulder hard enough to pitch my body forward a step. "You've come to the right place... Little Bird," he said in a hushed voice with a gleam in his eye.

My hackles rose. "Y-you know?" I whispered. He nodded, and I nervously rubbed my arm and averted my gaze. "Y-you won't out me to the king, will you?"

"Of course not, lad!" Another bellowing laugh. "Lucian would have my hide. My older brother is quite fond of you. Oh and I'm Aiden." He clasped my forearm in a tight handshake, which I returned eagerly. It was nice to meet someone on the outside related to Lucian.

"A pleasure, Aiden. I go by Duncan." I beamed at him.

"Half off for you, kiddo. Normally armor like that would be about fifty gold, but take it for twenty-five. And let me take a look at the sword, make sure it's up to snuff. Gods forbid, you get into a scrap," Aiden's expression softened when I unsheathed the sword, handing it delicately to him. "Ah, he gave you dad's blade, good. This is a good sword. It will do you well."

"You're ok with it, yeah?" I watched him inspect the blade for any nicks or scratches.

"Little Bird, my kin and I have no use for the blade. Our father would have wanted it to go to someone who needed it. You deserve it. Plus, with how my brother talked about you in his letters--well, even if you're not blood, you're kin to him." Aiden inclined his head as he brought the blade up to the light, and I smiled at my reflection in it.

Something about this reflection. It felt more like me than anything in the past. The king couldn't control me anymore. I would become my own person. I puffed out my chest in pride as I handed him the gold and went to pick up the armor.

"Now, hold on. Let's make sure no adjustments need to be made. It's not tailored to your wee size," Aiden said as he helped me strap on the armor. "But it looks like a proper fit. How does it feel?"

"It definitely is a better fit than that guard's armor. I don't feel any pinching," I answered honestly. It felt years better than the borrowed armor I had worn from the castle. I gave Aiden a bow, smiling up at him as I ran a hand through my short hair. "How does it look?"

"Amazing, Little Bird. If you ever find you need repairs, you send me a message. I'll do it for you." Aiden patted my arm. "So, what's your plan?"

"Head out to the next town and find a place to stay for the night before I start looking for work." I took a helm from beside the armor display and surveyed the fine workmanship. "Gorgeous... How much?" I peered at him, preparing myself for a sum I couldn't pay.

"That goes with the armor, my boy." He chuckled as I blinked back tears, still not used to all this kindness. I wasn't sure I'd ever be used to it. "I know you must be itching to leave this small town behind for a bit, so I got one last gift for you--a word of advice:

"Get out of this town. Go west. Find the Manticore's Tale and ask for Astrid. Tell her Aiden and Lucian sent you. She'll set you up a room real quick." He clasped his hand on my armored shoulder and exhaled softly before he shook his head. "Be quick and be safe, and send me a raven when you're settled. I can get the message to Lucian."

"Thank you. I promise I will." I pulled him into a hug, but when I felt him tense from the friendly gesture, I pulled back. Sheepishly fiddling with the helmet in my hands, I ran my fingers over the front of the beautifully crafted metal and whispered, "Kindness is more than I could have ever hoped to find on the outside."

Aiden placed his calloused palms on my shoulders and smiled. "Good luck, Duncan."

"The next time you see me," I gave another excited bow from the door of the blacksmith's shop, "I'll bring tales of my travels!"

"You better! Now, go out there and live your life the way you want to. Godspeed." Aiden's hearty laughter followed me out. 

I grinned underneath the helm, even if he couldn't see it. Inhaling, I took stock of my surroundings as I left his shop. The sun was just creeping beneath the trees, and I gathered Luna to hit the road before dark. "Let's get out of here," I murmured as I hugged the horse's neck for a moment.

She whinnied softly in what I could swear almost sounded like agreement. Watching her eyes scan the landscape, I rubbed her nose before climbing into the saddle and grabbing the reins. Per Aiden's suggestion, I turned toward the setting sun.

To the west, I would go.