28 Fight the Wind and Eat Vinegar 1/2

Start from the beginning

You should not let them see how skilled you are, my wiser self thought.

Over the past couple of months, I had been careful to keep my skills from Sanli and the other's knowledge. Part of me did it because I wanted to play the damsel, and enjoyed having the men wait on me.

The other part of me knew that the greatest advantage one had was surprise. If ever my partnership with Sanli was to end, and we were to become enemies, it would be best if he and his men knew as little as possible about me. If they just thought me a weak woman, who had once been a god.

I was not what I once was, but I was not weak.

Challenge him, a voice hissed.

The fight ended, Sanli forced from the ring. I started down the steps toward the two men.

"Good job brother!" Ermi cheered behind me.

Sanli stood to one side, breathing heavily. Zhangyu wiped sweat from his brow then straightened up as he saw me approach.

"You are very talented, my prince," I said, stepping slowly around Zhangyu. The second prince looked at me warily. "Where did you learn?"

"Kageyama Sensei taught me the sword, and some of the spear. The rest I learned from northmen," Zhangyu replied. He flexed his hand, letting his pole rest on the ground.

"Hmm," I said. Don't be a fool, you have no reason to do this, a voice said. But another voice, louder, urged me on.

After all, there was nothing quite like beating a handsome man at his own game.

"My dear Prince Zhangyu..." I said as pleasantly as I could. "Won't you give me a match?"

Zhangyu frowned. "You have knowledge of weapons, Lady Yunyou?"

"A little," I lied, going to stand beside Sanli. I put out my hand for the pole Sanli held, and the third prince passed it to me reluctantly. "Shall I avenge you?" I asked Sanli with a smile.

Sanli grunted and stepped back. "I think that might just make me feel more embarrassed. But go ahead."

I laughed, and swung the pole over my shoulder. Then I went to stand in the ring, across from Zhangyu.

"Lady Yunyou... do you really intend to fight me like that?" said Zhangyu with skepticism, eyeing my ornate robes and shoes.

"You are right," I said. "These shoes are ridiculous." I kicked the thick wooden clogs off, out of the ring, and then turned once more to face the prince, long red robes dragging through the dust of the courtyard behind me.

"Woohoo! Go get him, Ao-jie!" yelled Ermi from the terrace.

"Your robes are still too long. I worry about you injuring yourself... perhaps instead of sparring, I could show you some movements," said Zhangyu, disbelief coloring his tone.

"Show'im, Ao!" called Zakhar from one side. Beside the bearded man, the two mu'ren watched, Liang'yi with vague amusement, Kageyama with narrowed eyes.

I spread my feet. Across from me, Zhangyu, realizing I would not relent, did the same.

"Fine," said Zhangyu with reluctance. "Say when."

"When!" I shouted, mirroring Sanli's surprise attack from a moment before, I leapt forward at the second prince, long red robes slowing me down.

Prince Zhangu dodged my attack easily and swung into one of his own. I was ready for him.

The second prince attempted to drive me back with several, wide, long strokes, his pole swinging through the air. I ducked under the first swing, then caught the next with my pole