Wish (Gladio x Reader)

"I will not carry on being this weakling"

"No one is saying you're a weakling,"

"I'm meant to be the Royal Shield to the next heir to the throne!"

"So you're supposed to have NO weaknesses? Are you hearing yourself right now? You're being ridiculous!"

"Nope. I'm not being ridiculous! If you think I am, why the fuck are you still here then?"

"Wow. That's it? That's it for THE Gladiolus Amicitia?" 

"And?"

"Strange. I guess I just thought that I honestly meant a hell of a lot more to you that you'd never ask me such a question. I guess that just says it all,"

Leaning against the marble kitchen bench of the kitchen, Gladio looked around his apartment, dimly lit by the hallway lamp, letting out a deep breath. It was just a little past three in the morning, and here the Royal Shield was, sluggish from a restless sleep. It had been like this for the last couple of days from the thunderstorms crashing down over Insomnia. As fearless as Gladio was, there was one fear that tormented the fully grown, twenty-six year old; thunderstorms. If he was in the midst of battle or Noctis' life was in danger, the fear would be pushed aside from adrenalin, but all by his lonesome? It was a different story. 

He feared thunderstorms for two reasons. The first was when his and Iris' mother died in a car accident on the way home from work; she was driving through a treacherous thunderstorm. The second being the day you went missing for several days, fighting beyond the walls alongside your fellow glaive. Niflheim had generated an artificial thunderstorm, thus separating and killing many. Gladio never forgot the overwhelming feeling of relief in hearing you had somehow survived and returned to Insomnia with minor injuries. Although you had safely returned to his side, Gladio's fears of losing you the same way he lost his beloved mother plagued his nights. 

For the last three years, it was guaranteed he would not get any sleep whenever a thunderstorm hit Insomnia. The rest knew of this, their concerns quadrupling when Gladio's relationship with you ended abruptly. He had his stubborn pride to blame for losing the one person who could put him at ease during those times. Gladio thought that by remaining in the same apartment you both once shared all those years ago, he could work towards getting better; he was wrong. All the memories shared with you were still fresh in his mind as if they only happened yesterday. There was hardly any of your personal belongings left in the apartment, but the lack of your presence hurt Gladio more than he let on. Although you both worked for the Royal family, you carried on professionally and hardly spared him a glance whenever you both happened to cross paths. He didn't blame you; he held you accountable for his inability to conquer his own fears; the break-up being almost half a year after you returned to Insomnia safely. Gladio knew you did your best to assure him you would return to him, especially when reporting for duty outside of the walls. He knew he was your motivation to return safely and alive. He knew it all damn well that you had done nothing wrong, serving the Royal family loyally. He should have known better. 

Glancing at the wall clock above the television, and seeing an hour had passed since he went to the kitchen for peppermint tea, the shield knew he wasn't going to get any sleep; his alarm due to ring in another hour. Switching on the table lamp next to the couch, Gladio grabbed one of his favorite books from the bookshelf, figuring he might as well read until starting the day.

"Morning big guy!" Prompto greeted cheerfully.

"Mornin'," Gladio didn't bother trying to hide his exhaustion, nodding when Prompto gave a sympathetic smile in return.