~Δεκατρία

Start from the beginning

I nodded along. Meditate, clear picture, allow it to pull me—got it.

"Let's start. I want you to choose a simple place."

"Like just inside the door?"

Hekate smiled. "Yes, perfect."

I closed my eyes, picturing the interior of her house. I imagined myself disappearing off the blanket and materializing in that spot. Tingling started in my hands and feet. It slowly started spreading up my body—up my legs and arms, up my stomach—and settling in my chest.

Just as Hekate said, an invisible force tugged on my body. Knowing that I shouldn't fight it, I welcomed the pulling. The floor underneath me changed from fleece to marble, and my eyes flew open.

It worked! I'm inside her manor!

I stood up but swayed. Dizziness washed over me, and the world around me went dark. When the world started to clear up, a figure leaned over me—Dilys. She had a worried expression.

"Your Majesty, are you all right? Should I fetch Lady Hekate?"

"No," I murmured, realizing I was on the floor. "Just help me stand up."

"Certainly."

She grabbed my arm, helping to pull me up. I swayed a little, but I didn't feel the need to faint. Dilys grabbed my elbow, steadying me. She and I walked back onto the lawn. Hekate stood.

"Are you all right, Calantha?"

"I'm okay—just a bit dizzy."

"Come sit." Hekate patted the spot next to her, and I plopped down.

"I left the water inside; I shall go fetch it."

Dilys hurried back through the door. She handed me a cup a moment later, and I sipped the cool water.

"Thank you," I said.

"You're most welcome, ma'am."

Fifteen minutes later, after I felt much better, we tried again. I teleported to the same spot a few times before moving to the second floor. After a headache set in, we called it quits. And it was approaching lunchtime.

"You must come back tomorrow, Calantha. We shall practice some more."

"I look forward to it."

By the end of the week, I had practically mastered teleporting. I could even teleport between Hades' Palace and Hekate's Manor! It was amazing.

Then Hekate switched the lesson. We now focused on shapeshifting. At first, I practiced turning into Dilys and Hekate, but the lesson grew more difficult—Hekate wanted me to try shifting into the opposite gender.

It was weird. I didn't like it in the least. It was too freaky.

Fast forward two weeks, and I mastered both teleporting, shapeshifting into any species, and shapeshifting into any gender or person. I felt on top of the world.

"Hades," I said. "How long have I been here for?"

Hades met my eyes, pulling me closer from across the bed. "It is a little bit into February, so a good five months. Why?"

"We should have a six months anniversary party—on the twentieth of March."

He grinned, kissing my forehead. "What a brilliant idea, magnolia. We should start planning after breakfast."

"