The Volunteer Scout

Sorry I only sent this in so late. I promise I planned to do it earlier in the evening but I had work. This is a long chapter so strap in. Here you go!

There was only this plan. The only thing standing in the way of a Southern Alliance was this and no one realized it. Freja repeated this to herself for the third time as she stands in front of the doors of her father's study. She knows she should enter, if people swim by and see her just floating in front of the door but not entering, they will probably look at her strangely. Maybe even think there is something more dreadful inside the sea than their imminent destruction and tell everyone, causing panic in the pod. She really should open the door. Something stopped her. Nerves. Maybe it was the mantras she was telling herself, putting too much pressure on her. After all, everything relied on the plan going well.

The look on her sisters face though. She spent a full moon coming up with this plan. After doing the research and going to the Wise Sisters to see if it was even possible, studying everything they know about humans and working out how to best approach Father. She never expected her sisters to not be anything but supportive of her when she explained it to them. Well, except maybe Marina and Elise. Much as she loved them, Elise's grudge against humans was very much valid and present. She understood it only too well. How she missed Clara. Marina, she expected to be opposed just because it was her idea. But Halda, Octavia and Samirah, she expected support and words of encouragement. She did not even dream of the awkward looks they shared as they tried to talk her out of speaking to Father.

In the end, the memory of Marina's mocking laughter and her complete contempt of Freja's plan pushed her to action. She puts her hand on the door handle, hesitates, then quickly forces the door open before she could talk herself out of it.

It slams. Oops.

Father looks up sharply, eyes flashing, from where he is standing by the rock statue of the Goddess. If it wasn't her, he probably would have yelled at whoever disturbed him like that. As it is, he flexes his fingers and his shoulders relax. He returns his pondering gaze out the window to their Kingdom, simply saying: "Don't be so forceful, Freja."

"My apologies, Papa." She uses the moniker, she and her sisters, gave him when they were infants and did not understand proper royal decorum in the hopes of softening him up. His eyebrow quirks up indicating that maybe she's used this strategy one too many times for it to work or for him to be unaware that she wants something from him right now.

"What is it, daughter?"

"I have an idea of how we could save the pod."

Her father's back strengthens and he's looking at her carefully, paying attention to what she has to say more seriously than he usually does. She ignored the rush of pleasure that runs through her spine over this and continues.

"I've done some research to see if it was possible and all the indications show that it is."

"Do not leave me in suspense. Speak plainly." He commanded.

"I think that you were right we need to relocate. But not to the South, or to any other Ocean. There is no point in going there. We need to go on land."

The interest in his eyes fades. She can imagine the frown his mouth forms under his white beard.

"Freja, I know you were hoping to delay the Southern Alliance by giving us another option but this... this isn't one. Please don't waste my time on a fool's errand."

"It isn't! Humans are the only ones safe from their own mistakes and that's because they are on land. The Wise Sisters confirmed that it's theoretically possible for us to live there as well!"

"You spoke to the Wise Sisters about this?" Father hissed.

"Yes, and they said that there is a ritual that can transform mermaids to humans. You would obviously need to be the one to do it, but this can work, Father!" She rushes her words out desperately. This can only work with someone who has a large amount of magic blessed by the Goddess. In the Baltic Sea, that person is Father.

"Do you realize what would happen if the Wise Sisters told anyone of your inquiries? How people would look at you for trying to make us go to our greatest enemies for help?"

"Are they our greatest enemies or is it the Sirens? Which is it? And we wouldn't be going to them for help, they wouldn't even know that we were among them!"