The Behemoth

The Behemoth lurked behind the mighty firs, trunks as thick as the castle columns. The hot breath of the beast lingered along the forest floor, but Prince Thayer held his focus.

"Do you need me to hold him steady?" Eldra asked. Prince Thayer rolled his eyes. She always offered to help him, but he wanted to do this on his own.

"Stay where you are. Only interfere if I am going to die," he replied. That was the problem with a witch being your best friend; she liked to taunt that her magical gifts outmatched his physical strength. Prince Thayer clicked the safety off the rifle. The cursed Behemoth had plagued the countryside of Lialta for weeks roared. Its razor-sharp teeth gleamed in the specks of light that wafted through the trees. Prince Thayer took the shot, but the Behemoth darted into the woods at lightning speed.

Without a word, they were flying through the air after it. A knowing grin spread across Eldra's face. "I'm happy to give you the credit once we catch up to it," she taunted. She was the one who enabled them to soar through over the forest. Prince Thayer just shook his head.

They flew until the Behemoth was directly below them. They couldn't be spotted again, for reports had said that the creature could shoot poisoned flames for twenty meters. The beast sensed Eldra's magic and decided fleeing was better than fighting. Prince Thayer reloaded the rifle and pointed it down at the creature's head. "Get me closer." Eldra lowered him down.

Before the creature even had the chance to look up, Thayer took the shot.

The Behemoth wailed and fell to the ground, dead on site.

"Well done, my Lord," Eldra said.

It may have sounded like a compliment, but Prince Thayer knew her dry tone. "We had to kill the beast. It wreaked havoc through Immerson and Gibralta, killing a small boy."

"You wouldn't be so eager to kill if you knew what it was thinking." Prince Thayer couldn't respond. Eldra's magic was a gift, but sometimes a curse. She had control of the natural elements. She could command earth, wind, fire and water, and could even communicate with all living creatures. Prince Thayer swore she could read his thoughts sometimes but Eldra never admitted to it. She never enjoyed taking a life, even if it was for the safety of others. Which is why Prince Thayer hated asking her what they had to do next.

"Come on, let's-" 

"I know. I can carry him," she replied and walked toward town without another word.