chapter 7

Chapter 7                  

Natasha's POV

It was lunchtime at school and my friends and I were sitting around our usual table. Melissa, Chloe, Ben, Cathy, Stacey, Eddy, Nick, Mike, Chris and today Harry and Gina were with us. I was talking with Melissa, Cathy, Chris and Ben and the others were having a heated discussion about Superman versus Spiderman which was soo weird? And everybody knows Superman is the coolest! Duh.

"Mel, are you seriously going to be living by yourself?" Cathy asked.

"Yeah, I'm eighteen soon." Mel replied proudly. Mel was brave. To be honest, I'd be scared to be on my own.

"That's awesome!" Ben exclaimed. 

"Yeah, I know. Natasha and I have already started planning how we're gonna do it up."

"White." I grinned.

"Why are your parents moving out and not you?" Cathy was so curious to know.

"My parents are getting divorced and my dad is moving to Cyprus and my mom is moving a few blocks away and I said I'll just stay where I am and they agreed." Melissa explained. Yeah, after her mom had a bitch fight with her. I looked at Melissa's expression. She was so bubbly and sociable today. Her eyes seemed to be a shade brighter than they were already and they didn't look as miserable as they were yesterday. She's happy? Melissa? No way. I had known Melissa since i was four and she started to get sadder and sadder after her baby brother died at birth. It got worse when her parents started fighting. Then her father beat her. Then she started to get upset by all the bad happenings in the world that were completely irrelevant to herself. I just didn't understand why she let it get to her.Her depression got to what looked like suicidal after the Blake incident. And now her parents are finally divorcing and her mom tried to pull her hair out and she's happy? I mean, come on! What the hell? Almost all the sadness had rained out of her. Almost.

I noticed Christopher was off in la-la-land and wasn't listening to our conversation at all. "Christopher?" I said waving my hands in his face, "What do you think about Melissa living on her own?"

"What? Oh well," he snapped out of his daze, "I think it's cool. I would get lonely but hey, you can always come over and see me, Mel." He threw a grin at her. They would make such a cute couple. Maybe there are secretly dating! I could see why that would make Mel happy. Hhhmmmm. She smiled back at him.

I glanced up at the huge clock on the food-stained cafeteria wall (There was one big red stain which I made during Food War II. Our school has a very interesting history.  Over fifty students were sent to the holocaust, aka, detention. It ended when the lunch lady made a treaty with us that she would serve pizza for a day every other week during 8th period.) Lunch was nearly over."Do you wanna go, Tash?" asked Melissa picking up her tray.

"Nah, I'm gonna wait for Chloe 'cause we have class together." I declined her offer.

"Okay, sure." she gave me a small smile and went to bin her food.

***

Melissa's POV

The rest of my school day was very boring to be honest. The fact that I was going to be living by myself at such an early age was the biggest gossip at Stanton. It wasn't really a big deal. Why did anyone care?

I was at my locker getting some books before going home.

"Mel!" Chris called to me, "Do you want a lift?"