Chapter 1

Derek

"Momma, what's a Moon Crystal?"

Talia smiled, picking up her five-year-old son, Derek, resting him on her lap. "Well, my little honey wolf; a Moon Crystal is a very special crystal to our kind." She started a warm feeling growing in her heart.

"Is it because they come for the moon?" Derek asked, looking through the open window at the glittering stars and the big bright, ever-changing moon in the sky.

"Moon Crystals, aren't from the moon. We call them Moon Crystals because they glow with the phases of the moon, constantly changing just like the moon." Talia explained to her son.

"Why are they so important?" Derek's eyes filled with more wonder with this mother's answer to his question.

"They're important because we give them to our loved ones and mates. Moon Crystals are very rare and are only found in certain places in the world; people travel from very far to try and find one. Giving a mate a Moon Crystal is like proposing to normal humans."

I can remember that conversation like it was yesterday. I was so little, and like most children my age, I was extremely curious about every little thing; how do the seasons change, why does snow, melt when I bring it inside, why do I get in trouble but my sisters don't; all the usual things a five-year-old thought about. It's a little fuzzy as to why I asked my mother that question that day, I think one of my uncles was talking about having found his mate, and he wanted to present her with one of the infamous Moon Crystals. 

The conversation of Moon Crystals was usually brought about when a werewolf turned 16; they're at the age where mom or dad isn't the only thing you'll ever love. Young werewolves get the normal teenage urges, but sometimes those got maxed out to one hundred. Then, you knew that you would be spending the rest of your life with that person. 

I'm glad I asked my mother that question that day, by the time I was old enough for the conversation to come about, my family was gone, and Laura wasn't going to have that talk with me, I knew that. I still have questions, questions that I wish my mother, even my sister could answer, but they aren't here. I'm alone in this, this feeling that I've never felt before. A feeling that if one of my pack members come to me about, what do I tell them? Because I don't have the answer myself. 

When I think about it, I haven't seen a Moon Crystal in a long time. My mother wore one around her neck when I was little, and there were some scattered around the house. But they all burnt out after the fire. I don't even know where I find a Moon Crystal, I know they don't pop up around Beacon Hills, everyone always had to travel to find them. 

I'm back to my problem now, I have this feeling that I have never felt before, I think I know how to act on it, but I don't know where to find a stupid rock that's been a tradition to my kind for centuries.

"Momma, what's a Moon Crystal, and where do I find one?" I sighed to myself looking at the glittering stars and the bright, ever-changing moon in the sky.