Chapter 15 (edited)

The Reunion

I knew this Litten and at that realisation, I began to get excited.

"Leave that Pokemon alone." A familiar voice shouted at the man pursuing me.

"I saw it first; I'm going to catch it." The Rowlet's Trainer insisted.

"It clearly doesn't want to be caught, so let it go." Keegan reasoned but the other man was already ordering his Rowlet to use another energy ball.

Litten countered with embers and the sparks overpowered the energy ball and blasted into the Rowlet. The man caught his falling Pokemon. He sent a hate filled glare at my protector before walking off, cradling his Pokemon.

Keegan, my protector and friend, knelt down offering me a hand.

"It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you. Should we get you back to the forest?" He asked in a calming voice.

I smiled. Keegan was as kind as ever. I climbed onto his hand, and he walked out of the Pokemon Centre, Litten following at his feet. We walked away from the crowded main avenue and through some quieter back alleys. I guessed he was taking me to a forest.

"How about we talk first." I replied to his earlier rhetorical question.

He jumped, not expecting a Swadloon to reply telepathically.

"Sunephi? Is that you?" He looked around, very confused.

"Yep, this is just a disguise." I explained and now he definitely knew the voice was coming from the Swadloon.

He lifted me higher to his eyeline and inspected me from all sides. I wanted to blush, embarrassed at his intense inspection.

"It's incredible. Very convincing. But what are you doing here?" Keegan asked, smiling wide and bright eyed.

"That's what I should be asking. When did you start your journey?" I asked in reply.

If I had replied to his question properly, it would take me all day to explain, so instead I reversed the question back on him.

"I started my journey nearly as soon as you left. I did have to sort a few things before leaving, but I'm officially on my way to becoming a Pokemon Trainer," Keegan told me as we sat down on a bench. "It's been strange. Lonely at times since I've never been away from home before, but exciting at the same time."

"But why are you here in Luvco, specifically?" I asked, genuinely interested. If I remembered correctly, there were islands far closer than this one.

"Well, I was on my journey... wait how do you know where we are?" Keegan asked sceptically, interrupting himself.

I just huffed defensively. "I could tell from the sky." It wasn't exactly a lie. I just didn't want to tell him I could understand human writing yet.

"I did tell you a lot about the Main Islands." Keegan replied. "I'm here to get my first badge. Although I could've gotten one from a closer gym, I want to challenge myself and so I'm aiming for a full Main Badge Streak, where you get all the badges for the Tournament from the Main Island Gyms. That was actually why I was at the Pokemon Centre, to train."

That was just like Keegan, going out of his way to make things more complicated for himself.

"That's amazing. Mind if I come along?" I asked, wanting to see Keegan's progress.

"Of course not. I would love you to come along." Keegan replied. "Would you mind if I put you in my pocket so I can carry you hands free?"

I nodded and he slipped me into the front pocket of his shirt. I laughed internally, Pocket Monster. We started walking towards the gym and we caught up with Litten following at Keegan's feet. We took a populated route, meaning I could look around without having any attention drawn to me. I was still in my disguise, but I felt much better in a pocket. Keegan stopped at a fruit stand, and I realised I was starving. Ever since my human encounter, I had been too busy running or sneaking around to eat anything. My human taxi picked up a pear-shaped fruit and gave the vender a few coins. He handed me a chunk of the fruit and bit into the remains. We kept walking and I nibbled on the fruit, it tasted delicious, a little like a lemony strawberry.