Chapter 11 (edited)

The Return

The next day, I was sunbathing on the windowsill like usual, deep in thought when I finally came to a decision. The trip to get my belongings and the memories they evoked of being with my family pushed me to finally do it. Today was the day I was going home.

I waited for the rest of the family to return for their lunch break to bring it up.

"I fink time I go." I said quietly.

Everyone stopped eating and looked at me. I was suddenly self-conscious.

"You're all better. You've been with us for a long time, Sunephi." Susan said, filling the silence.

"Time I go home." I enunciated. Giving away a little about my past.

Keegan came over to me and knelt to my level.

"You're right, it's time to say goodbye." Keegan's voice cracked and his eyes started shining. "When are you going to go?"

"Today." I said, choking back my own tears.

Now I had started it, I knew it was time to go. We all got up. Litten and Dedenne followed everyone outside. I was surrounded by everyone as we said our goodbyes. The humans insisted on stroking me and hugging me while Dedenne nearly electrocuted me with her crying and Litten just gave a one pawed salute. In the chaos, Keegan disappeared back into the house but returned after a minute.

"What was that about, son?" Collin asked when Keegan came back obviously hiding something behind him.

"Nothing, just something I needed to get for Sunephi." He muttered back and his father just shrugged. "Sunephi, why don't I walk you into the forest a bit?"

I took Keegan up on his offer and we walked through the trees in silence. When we had gotten away from the farmhouse and the family I had made on this island, we had our own personal goodbye.

"Here, I got this for you." Keegan said, placing my saddle bags over my back.

This must've been what he had gotten from the house earlier. I thanked him profusely. I needed these bags. Not only were they a gift that made me thing of home, but they were also my survival gear.

Keegan helped me into the straps, and I shuffled around once they were secure; they were quite heavy.

"I filled up your water bottle and there's some fruit as well." Keegan said, chagrined. I was touched and thanked him again.

After, we just looked at each other for a while.

"Tank you, miss you." I finally broke the silence, and my projected words were watery.

He picked me up and petted me gently.

"It was a pleasure looking after you, Sunephi. I hope we will meet again someday if our paths cross." He said, clutching me to his chest. I licked his face while he hugged me. He smiled, before lifting me up to look into my eyes one last time.

"Safe journey too, friend." I said, meaning every simple word.

Keegan put me down and I padded away from him. I looked back and he was watching me. I waved a paw and he waved as well, using the other hand to wipe his face. I took a breath and dashed forward. Working up speed, I launched with my back legs and let my wings fly open to catch the wind. With the extra weight of my saddle bags, the runway method was much easier than trying to physically beat my wings.

In an instant, I was floating far above the island and saw the farm buildings and farmlands of Keegan's family surrounded by dense forests and mountains to the west of the island. I lifted higher and saw many more little islands. It was time to find my way home and hopefully I would be successful.