chapter twelve | morning calls

Start from the beginning

Victoria places the bowl of warm soup in front of me, placing a spoon beside it. "Yes, so I believe the younger sister that is under eighteen and blood related to me that lacks some parents is absolutely not my responsibility to feed, and you are more important."

Atticus laughs. "Sure, whatever. Feed her instead of me. She looks like she's going to fade away, anyway."

Our household was never big on having butlers or maids or cooks, just a few to help tend to such a huge mansion. Tori and Lys have grow used to helping around with tasks like cooking or cleaning, despite the fact that Tori has a whole staff of people back at the castle. When she's back home, she does everything herself, and Sophie easily fell into the routine, with Lysander helping out.

I tossed him my spoon. "Shut up, and maybe you should try prison food sometimes. That thing is meant to keep people alive, it isn't edible."

He dodges the cutlery easily - it wasn't like I was aiming for it to hit him. "I feel like that statement contradicts itself, but whatever you say, Vera. How are you supposed to live off something that isn't edible."

"You believe brussel sprouts are inedible but you can live off those!"

"Brussel sprouts are disgusting," he stated, pretending to gag. That didn't change about him either, I guess. "They have no flavour."

"Atticus!" Victoria exclaimed, gesturing to the kids at the table.

He turned red, ruffling his hair. "Oh, no, yeah, brussel sprouts are great. Eat your vegetables, kids. Then you'll be big and strong like me." He flexed his arms as a joke. I rolled my eyes. Typical.

I look down at the soup, swirling it around with a spare spoon. I knew I needed something in my stomach, but the vegetables and chicken pieces made me nauseous. I picked up the broth with my spoon, mostly, the pieces sinking to the ground.

"Where's Lys?" I asked, realising he wasn't in the room. The king wasn't either, but I could care less about him. "Did he go to work?"

Sophia nodded. "After last night's incident, he and King Pheon had to head over and investigate the area, trying to figure out what they wanted when they broke in."

I put the spoon down. "I mean, they could have just asked me. I know what was going on. I could tell you exactly what they wanted."

"You were tired and we didn't want to wake you up." Probably not the king, but I didn't interrupt. "The public wanted answers as quick as possible. And actually-" Sophia glanced to the drawing room, then the clock. "I'm pretty sure they're supposed to broadcast an announcement in the next couple-"

The TV flickered on, like it always did when a royal broadcast occurred. I pushed myself up, standing up and walking to the drawing room. Victoria, Sophia and Atticus followed, the kids staying in the dining room. The king's face filled the screen, with reporters crowding around him. The crowd grew quiet as he began to speak.

"There is little we know of about the events from the past evening, but as your king, I am here to provide you with as much information as I can regarding the situation," the king began. His hand went to his tie, fixing it up a bit. "A group commonly known as the Silent Death invaded the castle when the queen and I were out. The royal children, along with our niece and nephew, were in the building at the time."

The Silent Death wasn't a new group to the public. Ansen left trails of their - our - presence often, but none of the members were known by name.

"The only member known to us as of now is Amelia Covington, who remains within our custody as we attempt to gain more information. The Royal Guard has yet to find more of other members, or of their motive of the break in.

"There has been also questions from the public of the recent sightings of Amelia Covington outside from the past day, which has raised questions about public safety. I'd like to acknowledge that Ms. Covington was heavily guarded at the time, when she was outside."

I lie. The king lied for me. Or for the reputation of his wife.

"And in addition to that, Ms Covington was the one that helped the children out of the castle safely in the duration of the break in. I'd like to express my gratitude to her -"

The three other in the room, glanced at me, but my eyes stayed focused on the screen. There had to be a catch to this, there had to be something at the end of this, because the king was furious with me last night, and I'm sure a heart could easily change overnight. Even Sophia was a little wary.

The king glances to the side before his next statement, almost as if he was waiting for confirmation. "In return of her kindness, Amelia Covington, or as many of you may know her or have heard of her, Vera Annalise Carmicheal, will be granted a certain degree of freedom, which includes her lashes eradicated and the ability to stay out of the kingdom prison - while heavily guarded. Her interrogation continues.

"As for good news, our family has welcomed a healthy baby girl on September twenty ninth. Both she and the queen are doing well. Her Highness Queen Victoria and I have chosen the name Annalise Grace Lyra Alderidge for the baby girl, chosen originally to honour my mother, Grace Alderidge, and the queen's mother and sister.

"This brings me to the end of this conference. I will not be taking questions as of now."

The king turns back and enters the castle, two guards following him back. The doors shut close, and rioting from the citizens start, demanding more information.

The screen flickers back to black. That was it. That was the end.