two

1984

Ever since he and his family moved away for good, Michael's been sending me letters to prove he wouldn't forget about me. The letters were very consistent at first but as his stardom became international, he got more and more busy. They started coming once a month, sometimes not at all. He is the great, Michael Jackson now; his letters have become more short and less thought out and basically say the same thing every time: "I have been good, tired. Maybe I can stop by if my schedule permits." But after so many years, it just becomes a way of saying goodbye. I stopped waiting around for the postman everyday. If he has a letter from Michael, he will come to my doorstep, otherwise he'll leave them outside for me to get later. We've got this whole system sorted out.

But, I'm not exactly out of the loop in his life either. He's practically all over the news, 24/7. Gossip TV channels. Most of them are these nasty rumors that Michael has said none are true. I believe him.

Even though I see his face in flashing lights, it still feels like we are distant friends but it is inevitable that we are slowly but surely growing apart. That, and he looks so different. It's almost like he has only gotten more and more beautiful as time goes on. I would be lying if I didn't admit a little crush on him; given me and everyone else I know with working eyes would die to meet him. 

Now that I think about it, he came home once. It was when he helped his mother and sisters move out of their home and out to California. That's when I saw him. He had an afro and wore flamboyant pants and suits. I remember that day so clearly, because that's the day he finally came back like he promised. I recall sitting in my living room, when a large and loud bus came pulling into my street. I ran to my window and swiped the curtains from my view. Joe came out first and pulled a joyous Katherine into a deep hug. My eyes began fervently  scanning around for one specific brother.

The boys started coming down the stairs of the bus to hug and comfort their mother. Michael hadn't come down yet but I waited. After a few moments, my past experiences and memories of this feeling got the best of me; I was beginning to think he wasn't even on the bus.

"Get down here!" Tito had called, looking back into the doors and waving his arm enthusiastically.

I took a step away from my window and towards my door. This is it, this is the moment I've been waiting for, for years. I unlocked the doors and just as I took a step outside, he was right there. He was so close. Almost as if I could touch him now. I kept blinking away hot tears that began to form in my eyes.

Michael approached his mother, and gave her a hug. She smiled and pointed in my direction. He turned around and made instant eye contact with me. I jumped over my porch and ran to him. My legs wrapped around his waist as my arms held tightly to this boy that grown up after all these years. All of a sudden I found myself crying like a child. He started laughing, and  held my head with his hands, asking me not to cry. I couldn't control myself however. We both started laughing, and he put me down. Just as he did, everyone came to me with open arms. I had missed all the Jackson boys as well but I just had something special for my best friend, Michael.

That day was so great. It was thirteen years ago, and we were still kids now that I think about it. He still says that one day he'll come back for me again. But after several years, you start to wonder if he's ever going to come back, period. Or if he even thinks about you before the letter comes in.

In that time, my life has gone through so many ups and downs that I can't even begin to explain in letters. On top of that, he's living the high life in Los Angeles. why would I trouble him by telling him my lows and highs. After all, my highs would probably be his lows. How hard could superstardom be? If Michael did ever comeback, it would be really great if he met the newest addition to my life: Greg.
-

(EDITED: July 2, 2019)