Chapter 1

hey :D thanks for giving this book a try, welcome to the family

*strong abuse trigger warning!*
(future me regretting all this angst 🙂)
___Peter's POV___

"CRAP." I shriek, my eyes widening as I take a glance at my watch.

It was three hours past curfew. I got so caught up in stopping crime that I'd totally forgotten to even check the time!

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no..." I murmur hectically as I swing as fast as (in?)humanly possible back to the orphanage. Before I even get close, my super-hearing already catches onto the vicious shouting of the headmistress-lady, Mrs. Gardner.

I try my best to block out the abrasive yelling as I drop to the ground beside the orphanage, quickly changing in an alleyway and stuffing my suit to the bottom of my backpack. Sneaking in as quietly as possible, her harsh voice only becomes louder as I try to make a quiet break for the stairs.

"Peter!" She hisses, making me wince. My sensitive hearing is not diggin this.

"Yes, ma'am?" I try as politely as possible, turning to face her with fear evident in my eyes. I can literally see her relish in the fear she's causing me.

"Get over here." Gardner growls. As I approach, I notice how she reeks of alcohol and cigarette smoke. No idea why Mr. Gardner sticks with this nasty woman. Not that he's the poster child for health, either, though. "Where have you been?" She leans in close, making me gag from the stench.

"I lost track of time." I murmur out. My fear is slowly overcoming my confidence.

"'Lost track of time' my ass!" She screams into my ear. Because of my senses being dialed all the way up to like 15, her scream leaves a painful ringing in my ears that forces me to clasp my hands over my ears in order to not keel over.

[strong trigger warning, apologies]

My spider senses tell me that something is about to slam into my abdomen, but I refuse to respond. It would only enrage the bEaSt more. Her fist comes plummeting into my stomach, sending me doubled over onto the ground. Gardner's foot slams over and over into my rib cage and I hear a crack now and then.

At some point she stops and wobbles her way upstairs and slams her bedroom door, leaving me in a ball on the kitchen floor. I make my way to my feet, clutching my stomach in pain as I climb the stairs and head to my bedroom.

And by 'bedroom', I really mean the 7x7 foot closet the Gardner's assigned me for my bedroom. There's one window at the top, letting a small beam of moonlight shine in. Other than that, a small pillow, thin blanket, and a small bed are what keep me warm and comfy at night.

On my way up, I hear the front door open and close. My hand clutched to my aching chest, I make eye contact with Eddie, one of the other foster kids at the orphanage. His headphones are tucked into his ears, so he simply nods at me and continues along his merry way.

[trigger warning over]

I plop myself down on the bedroom floor and sigh deeply, groaning when the intake of breath spikes pain up my ribcage.

Before I even recognize it, I'm out like a light.

___Tony's POV___

"Sir, you have a meeting scheduled in 5 minutes." FRIDAY announces in her iconic Irish accent. Not trying to brag, but her accent is pretty spot on. Worked on her for, what, a year and a half?

"Remind me in 15 minutes." I hum as I continue to focus on the piece of machinery I'm perfecting.

"But sir, that would mean you would be—"

"10 minutes late, yeah." I shrug. "Come on, FRI, you should know me better than this by now." I joke with her, earning a light chuckle from the AI.

"15 minutes it is." She replies with a button.

And so, 15 minutes later, she reminds me. I know I've got to show up for at least 10 minutes of it, otherwise Fury'll have my head. So, as casually as I can muster, I make my way up the elevator and into the conference room.

Everyone is staring at me. There's a long pause.

"Really, I don't know why I'm surprised." Steve places his palms in the air with a shrug.

"Just sit down!" Fury sighs angrily, as he's in the middle of his presentation. "To run you through, Stark—" Fury hisses. He presses the slide button furiously, plowing through the past 10 slides viciously, "Spiderman. Problem. Capture."

"Woah, woah, woah—" I place my hands in the air, "I thought we were chillin with Spiderman? He hasn't broken any laws or anything, right?"

"Well, no." Steve scratches the back of his head. "The main reason we want to catch him is to make sure he doesn't."

"And—" Fury starts with sass. "We have practically no information on his abilities, nor his identity. This is vital to our civilian safety as well as our database."

"You mean SHIELD's database." I correct, aiming a determined finger in the air. "This has nothing to do with Stark Industries."

"Well, it will when this guy starts tearing up New York." Clint sighs as he leans back in his chair.

"Not only do we need more information, but I believe this vigilante will make a valuable addition to the Avengers Initiative." Fury continues.

"Woah, WOAHHHH, woah—" I stand from my chair in defense. "I said he was cool, but maybe not that cool!" I argue.

"What?" Natasha shoots out, bunching her eyebrows at me.

"I don't wanna kidnap the guy, but I don't think he should be on the team! I mean we're the Avengers." I emphasize as I gesture to the table of heroes around me.

"Stark!" Fury shouts, slamming his hand on the desk with authority. "Find this Spiderman guy, bring him in. No violence necessary."

We all nod in silence and make our way for the door.

I'm stuck deep in thought as I make my way back to my lab, fidgeting with my watch as I think about this new mission. How are we gonna capture this guy? He's fast, but hopefully not too fast. Guess we'll see.

"Hey, Fri, alert me when Spider-Man's making an appearance anywhere in New York." I say aloud as I get back to work on my blasters.

"Will do, boss." Friday hums in response.

_______

thanks for giving my book a try! I promise it becomes more original in a few chapters :) [^^future me^^]

-shalack

(star(k)ted on: 02/15/20)