Chapter 3 - Such is Life

Start from the beginning

"Just let it go, C. No use harboring an emotion as strong as hate for people like those," I answered.

Such is life.

Everyone had problems and everyone had things they were going through. For me and Claudine, this was it. I'm guessing those people who were bullying us were so insecure about themselves that this was their only outlet. Or maybe they also had a lot of issues back home and this is how they're acting out.

It didn't make what they're doing right. I guess it just stops me from harboring hate or totally breaking down because I sort of understand them. It also stops me from becoming bitter towards life in general.

My friend sighed. "You're right. Let's just go home," she suggested. Now that the jocks were gone, we were free to move. "Yeah," I agreed. I stood up and Claudine handed me a box of tissues from her bag so that I could wipe the dye from my face. We had limited number of tissues but I tried to wipe away as much as I could.

"I'll ask my driver to pick us up," Claudine told me as she called her driver from her phone.

A few minutes later, a limo came and picked us up. I glared at my best friend. "Really, this one?" I asked sarcastically.

"Yep," she replied. She winked and blew me a kiss.

"Yeah this isn't really flashy or fancy at all." I nudged her and we both laughed. I climbed in while Claudine's driver went to retrieve my bike and then stashed it in the trunk.

Slowly, because of the huge amount of traffic, we made our way back to Claudine's manor.

"You know, C. Every single time I come here to your house, I'm still struck by its beauty and I still can't get over how rich you are." I laughed. She lived in a freaking mansion. It had high walls surrounding the main house and the lawn stretched as far as the eye could see. Inside, it was even more luxurious. Everything seemed to be shiny and expensive.

"Well, get over it already," Claudine replied jokingly. And then she sighed. "But you know the price of all of this, A," Claudine said and waved a hand to indicate all the lavish furniture around us.

Yeah, I knew.

Claudine was an orphan. She had everything she could ever want for but her only company is me. She had three old aunts who handled the trust fund her parents left her but she rarely saw them because they were very busy. I saw them twice all my life and they were very creepy. They looked at me as though they could see into my very soul and that sent shivers up my spine.

I sighed and hugged her. "But you know you have me, right?"

I've known Claudine for a really long time. I first met her when we were in kindergarten. She sat beside me and instantly became my friend. She stayed with me through thick and thin. Actually, I don't know how I would've made it this far without her.

"Hey, what is this? A pity party? Let's just go play some Kinect. After we shower, of course" Claudine suggested while wrinkling her nose at me. Then, she quickly pulled me to her room. I took a shower and afterwards, we played and danced on Kinect for hours.

-♔-

When it was already dark, I donned my hat over my hair again and then said goodbye to Claudine. I retrieved my bike and made my way back to my foster mother's house which was a short bike ride away from Claudine's place.

The moment I got home, I climbed onto bed and took my old, battered, white teddy bear from the stand beside my bed and hugged it tight. This bear was very special to me. I just couldn't sleep without it.