Chapter Two

Morgan

"You mother fucker!"

Morgan hopped around on one foot as her toes throbbed. She had stubbed her foot at least three times on that same damn box since she had moved in last week. Enough. Tonight she would make it a priority to unload the remaining boxes.

Morgan grabbed her keys from the kitchen counter and out of habit, she checked to make sure the stove was off, which was pointless since she hadn't used it this morning. She paused and then looked at her surroundings. This was her home now. Her new townhome wasn't the enormous house that she and Owen had shared in Boston, but it was beautiful nonetheless. The kitchen had been updated by the previous owner with new appliances and granite countertops. But what she loved more than anything was the fact that she could truly make this home her own. She hadn't had the opportunity to make her home in Boston reflect her tastes since Owen had lived there when she met him. He had already hired a professional decorator to make it feel more like a museum than a warm inviting space.

Morgan sighed and for the first time since all this mess started, it finally hit her. She had left Owen and Boston behind to start a new life. She was excited to work with Reagan and Allison and live just blocks away from Carina. But she couldn't forget the man who still haunted her dreams, the man who lived .4 miles away, not that she was counting.

Morgan brushed that thought aside and left for work. She stopped off at Saxby's on the corner, a place she had quickly cozied up to since she'd moved and bought four large coffees. She was feeling good about herself and rejuvenated as she walked to the office. She loved that she could walk to work. It was the main reason she had bought the townhome she did. What was also an absolute plus was the number of great restaurants on all sides. She was looking forward to grabbing takeout on those nights that she was too beat to cook.

Morgan entered the clinic and was immediately greeted by a Great Dane. The big guy was not fully grown but he was massive all the same and wagging incessantly. Morgan gave the pooch a pat on his gigantic head and then made her way to the receptionist's desk. Felicia was typing away when Morgan placed a coffee to the left of her keyboard. "God, you are an absolute angel." Felicia didn't stop typing as she smiled at Morgan. "It's been a crazy morning already, but nothing we can't handle."

Morgan smiled at the middle-aged woman. Morgan had liked her the minute she had met her. Her eyes were kind, and from what Reagan and Allison had told her, Felicia was a workhorse who never complained. It was a refreshing change from what she had encountered in Boston. Chloe, her former receptionist, had not only been lazy, pissing and moaning when the office got slammed, but she had also been fucking Owen behind Morgan's back.

"I'll leave their coffees here with you, on the off chance they get a moment to breathe and can take a sip," Morgan said. She put the coffee on the desk and then retrieved her lab coat from her office.

When Morgan came back to reception, Felicia handed her a clipboard and a patient's file. Morgan looked at the name of her patient and chuckled. "Peanut?" she asked to a room full of dogs, cats and their eager owners.

A petite woman stood and smiled at Morgan. She gently tugged on the leash and said, "Come on, Peanut. It's our turn."

The Great Dane Morgan had seen upon arrival came bumbling toward Morgan, dragging his poor owner behind him.

***

Jake

Jake rolled over and stared at the photo in the frame. Why didn't he just leave it tucked away in his nightstand drawer? Because he was a fucking idiot, that's why. He had retrieved the picture frame from its hiding place last night and propped it up on the nightstand. He had fallen asleep looking at those two kids in the photo.