― two: strange occurrences

Start from the beginning

          "Or, maybe, you're just really lazy." Parker chides to which Victoria frowns.

          The dark-haired girl scoffs and smacks Parker's shoulder with her free hand, "Maybe you're just lazy!" Right, because it was Parker who was complaining about the homework load. Not the other way around.

           She goes to open her mouth to respond with something snarky, but halts when she feels her phone buzzing away in her back pocket. She pulls the phone out, finding her mother's name grazing across the screen. A frown filters onto her lips.

          It's never a good thing when her mother calls from work. She's an RN, at Arcadia Lake Hospital. Being that it's the only emergency care hospital that accepts gunshot wounds in the area, they're often busy. Her mother's often busy because of it. Rarely does she have the time to call or dilly-dally in between work or even after. That doesn't mean she's going to say the sky just fell or that someone died, but whatever she's going to say: Parker's sure it won't make her happy.

           "Hello?" Parker answers with a polite tone.

           There's light static in the background, people talking, and robotic noses before her mother's voice filters through. "Hi sweetie, I hope I'm not disturbing you. It's lunch, right?" No, but it's close enough. Two more classes and she'll be headed off to stuff her face and take a nap. Parker doesn't respond as her mother continues speaking. Often, when the woman's busy, she just talks as a way to go through things quickly. "This morning, I meant to tell you, your grandmother is coming down to stay for a while."

           Her eyebrows furrow as she shifts her weight from one foot to the other, "Which one?"

          Her mother keeps silent. There's only just heavy breathing, and most likely, contemplation. Parker can feel every piece of happiness draining out of her body, as she understands who her mother's talking about. "Rose." Her mother whispers, and all Parker can do is sigh as she lets her body fall against the lockers.

          Victoria taps her on the shoulder, signaling her that she's heading off. Parker nods, and waves her off as she feels the gravity of the situation at hand.

          Grandma Rose, or as she prefers: Aunt Rose. There's nothing entirely special about Parker's family, other than the fact that bother her mother's mother, and her own mother had children at a relatively young age. Making her grandmother only in about her late forties to early fifties. No one actually knows her age. Since Parker was a child, Rose refused to be called a grandmother and rejected the fact she was born. Parker's not sure if the woman resents her but she does know that she herself, resents the woman. Rose is odd, and too out there for her age. It's not that she's expecting all the regular grandmother ways, but wearing proper outfits and acting like an adult is something she believes is a norm and should be followed.

          Unfortunately, the woman doesn't agree with her.

          The two rarely get along, not even when Parker was a child. Often arguing and getting into fights. They're two absolutely different people. "Rose?" Parker groans as she reaches up to smack her head in annoyance. She can hear her mother suck in a breath, and she can picture the woman tapping her fingers against something in equal annoyance as she. Her mother isn't necessarily her own mother's biggest fan. They don't see eye-to-eye and it mainly has to do with the fact that Rose is an alcoholic. A functioning alcoholic; but, nevertheless, an alcoholic. "Mom, the woman's insane!" Parker's sure, her father agrees with her. Not only does Rose resent her, but she loathes her father and blames him for Parker's birth.

          "My mother," She begins as a huff leaves her mouth. "She may be a little interesting; but, she is not crazy." Parker can hear it in her voice, that she doesn't necessarily believe what she's saying. She's only trying to justify and make Rose sound not as bad as she is. "She's your grandmother, Parker Elizabeth, be respectful!" Though her voice is demanding, Parker knows for a fact that she's trying to tell herself the same thing. "Do you understand me, young lady?"

          Parker rolls her eyes, "Yeah, mom, I get it."

          Though it won't stop the girl from believing that Rose is insane, and bad for her health. Screaming on the other side of the phone, alerts her mother, who hangs up the phone without warning. It's usually like that. When an issue, whatever it may be, is dealt with: she'll call back and apologize for hanging up. At least this way, she doesn't have to hear about Rose any more. That's pleasing.

           Though she's positive that the woman will be staying in her room when she gets here. Meaning that not only will she have to deal with the woman on a daily basis, but she'll also have to stay in the same room as her. Taking these few things into account: it seems to really make the Dare Games sound a lot more appealing. The thought that it'll make something worth her while. She's not desperate, and she doesn't often do things that stray away from the normality of her life but it might be nice to venture out and try something new. Really, what could go wrong? It's a game of dares, nothing more.

           She bets it's probably just a prank that some jerks created to mess with her, and whoever else they picked. Though, whoever did create this, is really good at persuading. Because now, Parker seriously wants to attend this secret meeting, even if she gets in trouble. And right now, because of Rose coming, she's desperate to do anything to keep her mind off the old bat.

★★★★★

          PARKER'S MOTHER SITS ACROSS from her at the wooden dinner table, having just cooked dinner with the help of her husband. "How was school today, sweetie?" The woman asks, as her eyes filter up to look at her daughter who's continuously shoving food into her mouth. The girl shovels food into her mouth, her shoulders shrugging in response, as her body is nearly running on empty. She's so tired, and her body is still aching from this morning. All she wants to do is sleep but, she also wants to attend that meeting tonight. She knows she shouldn't, but, at the same time, it sounds vaguely interesting.

          "Did you tell her about Rose?" Her dad pipes up, side-eyeing her mother.

          Parker huffs, "Yeah, dad, she told me." He nods, hair falling over his face, as he stares harder at his stack of files. He was hoping, that she'd cause a scene, and her mother would reject the idea of having Rose come down. Which, happened last year. Rose was supposed to come down for Christmas Dinner, but Parker rejected it as she feared the woman would cause much damage. Especially seeing as her dad's boss and his wife were coming over. And if Rose did anything she usually does, then it would've been a disaster.

          "Are you okay sweetie?" Her mother questions, to which Parker looks up at her. "You look...tired, maybe you should get some rest. If you're still hungry, I'll heat you up some leftovers." The woman pats the top of her daughter's hand and lightly smiles. Thankful, Parker smiles and nods as she moves away from the dining room table to head for the stairs. Her dog, Frank, following after her with his head hanging low as if he's tired too. Parker's body drags itself up the wooden stairs before reaching the top, and turning directly into her orange colored bedroom.

          Frank jumps atop the bed with Parker falling on the edge soon after.

          Her whole body goes into sleep mode as her white comforter takes a hold of her body. For now, she'll just have a quite rest before heading out to school for the meeting. Possibly after her parents head off for bed, she'll sneak out. It shouldn't be too hard. Seeing as her parents won't expect something like that from her, and possibly believe that she'll just be in her room until tomorrow morning. High expectations actually make doing low expectation things easier. Or so she thinks.

          She just hopes they won't be up when she gets home. The last thing she needs, is to get grounded on top of the whole 'Rose' thing going on now. And, hopefully, this game won't cause her any more trouble than she's already gotten herself into. Especially as a high school teenager. And though she suspects this is a prank, or a joke, she knows that if she doesn't go: she'll regret it in the long run. So, it's better to go now, and see what it's all about, and hopefully find something worthwhile.