33: Tears of Regret

Start from the beginning

Breathless...he now watched as she looked up and grew tense at his sight. Her laughs dimed...her stance grew guarded. Soon, she was clinging on to one of her relative's arm, dragging the girl away from the main centre of the hotel...away from his sight. 

Feeling weak by the emotions, he then lowered his head, closed his eyes and inhaled deeply. The way her emotions had changed at his sight was going to torture him forever. Would she never give him a chance again? Would she move on? Images of her marrying that village boy...waiting for him to return...sharing coffee cups with that prick...and just adoring him flashed across his mind.

'No!' he then opened his eyes, jaw clenched due to flaring temper and possessiveness. He was not going to let any undeserving prick take away his Maya. She was his wife. Her heart was only supposed to be offered to him. Those moments and feeling...they couldn't have an outsider. 

Seeing the village boy now step in his line of sight and head towards the restaurant, Demir narrowed his gaze. 

He knew what he had to do.  

****

I had messed up badly. 

I don't know what I was thinking about allowing my family to come and visit me at my husband's hotel. I had put everyone in an awkward spot because I just didn't want Demir to be controlling my decisions, and was now deeply regretting this move. I could have easily avoided this situation. 

Zaheer...I didn't want to put that man in such an awkward spot. He was a pure gentleman...and didn't once try to even talk or interact with me, but I knew that him being here was so inappropriate. I was still Demir's wife. It had been so irrational of me to disrespect my future in-laws like that. 

Feeling incredibly guilty and terrible, it was after lunch when Aunt Hena called me to her room. She patted my head in a gentle manner and explained how her staying her wasn't really possible, so she was going to leave in the morning. Zaheer and Asmara could stay in this hotel for a couple of days. It broke my heart just thinking about Aunt Hena going back. I didn't want her to leave but knew it was for the best. She even tried giving me some gifts, but I refused them all after promising to accept them once I got married to her son. That made her give me a small smile...looking as if she knew something which I didn't. 

Now, as the night sky deepened, I decided to give Aunt Hena and Asmara a tour of the hotel. I wanted to relax their nerves...make up for putting them in such an awkward position. Randomly showing them different artefacts and acting giddy, my heartbeat turned erratic as my gaze found Demir standing near the railing of the fifth floor, staring down at me. 

"Maya," Asmara pulled on my arm, ignorant about my shifting emotions. "This place has so many foreigners. I have never seen so people from so many countries gathered in one place. I can't believe you are the wife of a billionaire." She gushed, but I could hear the inner insecurity in her words. Both Aunt Hena and Asmara looked so overwhelmed and believed that their own lifestyle was nothing like this, so they couldn't offer me much. 

"Yeah, but it's the heart that matters...not wealth," I spoke, voice filled with hidden pain. Knowing that Demir was staring down at me, I subtly led my family away from the main centre of the hotel. Demir...his wealth...just everything depressed me. Thankfully, his family was staying in their rooms. I was in no mood to have awkward encounters with them. 

***

"Maya..." It was early morning when Asmara walked into my suite. For some reason, she seemed quite upset and teary. Was it because of Aunt Hena leaving today? I had no clues. 

"Yes," I rubbed my eyes, sitting up straight. "What's wrong?"

"Sorry, did I wake you up?" She frowned, twisting her hands. The morning sun rays were falling straight on me.