Chapter 2: The Blue Lion

You sat alone in the empty desert, outside of the shack the group had driven to. You were in awe at how much had gone on all in one night. Aliens were possibly coming to destroy Earth, your adoptive father had come back from the dead, and your old friend from 6 years ago had followed him. You wondered to yourself, just how you managed to be both blessed and cursed with such luck.

"Still a deep thinker, I see,"

You turned to see Shiro, awake and striding towards you. He sat beside you and stared at the view. As silence filled the space between the two of you, the news that he was here with you finally hit. Silently, you leaned over and gave him a hug, feeling tears form in your eyes. Your voice was barely audible, but you were able to say that you were relieved he was alive, and how much you had missed him. You felt Shiro's arm caress your back lovingly and peeked through the folds of his shirt to see him smiling gently down at you.

"No, sweetie, I'm sorry," he apologized. "I should have never left you down here by yourself. If I had known that awful orphanage was going to steal you back from us, I..."

He couldn't say anymore. He closed his eyes for a moment, then opened them up, his comforting expression returned. "Well, it doesn't matter now. You're here, and you've grown into a beautiful young lady."

You blushed a little when he said that. After hearing otherwise from your classmates over the years, it made you feel a little self-conscious.

"Um...I'm not intruding, am I?"

You and Shiro turned to see Keith, standing awkwardly behind you. Taking it as a sign to leave, you stood up, said goodbye to Shiro, and began to leave. As you passed Keith, you paused for a moment, noticing he looked like he wanted to say something to you. You waited to hear if he would say "hello", or "I missed you a lot."

However, all he said was "You really need to cut your nails," and continued on to speak with Shiro. A little disheartened by the comment, you began making your way back to the shack.

Then, as soon as he had dismissed you, Keith stopped you. "Wait a minute...do I know you?"

He moved away from Shiro and stepped closer to you to get a better look at your face. You could feel your face get hot from how near he drew. "Those eyes..." Keith's face suddenly lit up with recognition. "It's you! That quiet co-pilot girl with the heterochromia!"

Aside from the fact that he mentioned your condition, you felt pleased that Keith did indeed remember you. "I can't believe it. You...you..." Keith looked away, scratching the back of his mullet. "I couldn't remember your name."

The happy feeling from before was blown out of you as you were pierced with a direct hit on your ego. Shiro seemed to notice your disappointment, so he swept in to help. "Keith, this is (Y/N), your old co-pilot-in-training. My soon-to-be daughter."

Keith's face fell a little at the mention of you being Shiro's child. "...Oh. Well, it was nice to see you."

Oddly feeling worse than before, you continued back to the shack, your shoulders sagging.

Pidge, Lance, and Hunk turned their heads to face you as you entered the shack. "Oh, hey, (Y/N). What's up?" Pidge said.

"You were outside for a really long time. You okay, little buddy?" asked Hunk. You nodded once but knew you weren't being very honest. Aside from the reunition with your old acquaintance, you hadn't felt very well since they arrived at this place. Your head had been spinning from the high-speed ride and your legs felt wobbly, like they were going to give out at any moment.

"What do you think all of this is?" Lance inquired, poking at a board of maps, diagrams, and notes. "You think he's been stalking someone?"

"Ew, Lance! That's disgusting!" Pidge cringed.