Session Three (ii)

Nightclub somewhere in myeongdong

If possible Chaeyoung and Jisoo were even more relentless drunk than they were sober. I’m pretty certain they told every stranger they came in contact with about me having sex with Jennie. Of course, none of them had any idea what my friends were talking about, but having been just as intoxicated, they went along with it, teasing me to no end. They even told the bartender who wound up giving me looks all night. An hour in, I escaped to the dimly lit bathroom at the back of the club and fished my cell phone out from my purse. No response from Jennie, yet. Maybe she wasn’t intending for her message to be sexual after all. I probably made an ass of myself sending that picture.

I try not to think about it for the rest of my evening. I try not to think about her. Whether she got the message and ignored it or if she has even seen it yet. I find myself back at the bar, slamming a shot with Chaeyoung and Jisoo before traipsing over to the dance floor. I let myself feel free tonight. Under my current state, the music doesn’t sound so bad. I easily sway my hips back and forth to the beat, laughing along with my friends who seem to having just as much fun as I am. This is my first time out to a nightclub in over a month. I feel less inhibited this time around. I’m not so cautious when I get asked to dance because I see no hidden agenda.

I dance to the best of my ability, and people where in awe.

Chaeyoung is already plastered and Jisoo isn’t far behind. They tell me they want to get another drink, but I figure it’s time to cut them off.

It’s nearly midnight when we make it back to my apartment and so I ask the girls if they want to spend the night with me instead of taking the cab back to their houses. They agree and we head up to my door, trying to halt our pointless laughter so as not to disturb my neighbors. I unlock my door and the girls pile in after me, Jisoo unnie rushing to the bathroom to pee while Chae raids my refrigerator. I realize I’ll be playing mommy again, putting them to bed and tucking them is, seeing how I’ve only had a few drinks tonight and am not half as wasted as these two.

Before much longer, Jisoo has made herself comfortable on my couch and Chae has taken the space on the floor just in front of her, tossing and turning in the old sleeping bag. I bring the two of them a glass of water that I encourage them to drink before they effortless fall into a deep slumber. I, on the other hand, have never felt more awake. I mill to the kitchen and turn the light above my stove on so it isn’t completely black in here. I pull my phone from my back pocket to see if Jennie has gotten back to me yet.

Nothing.

I decide to worry about it in the morning instead, but first, I think a hot bath is well in order right about now. I saunter into my bedroom, slip out of my clothes and pull my bathrobe on, and tie my hair in a messy bun, ready to let the heat of the water envelope me. I turn the water on and shut the drain, watching as the liquid fills the tub. It’s reaching the top quickly and I take my bubble bath and deposit a bit of it under the running water. I’m about to disrobe, I hear the chime of my notification tone and the vibration of my phone on the nearby counter. I turn around and gaze at the screen expectantly.

Jennie

"Are you still awake?”

I switch the water off and take my phone in my hands.

“Yes, What are you doing up at this hour?"

“Waiting for you to answer your door…...”

What? I absent mindedly look out my bathroom door towards the hallway. I set my phone back down on the counter and pull my robe closed, tying the silk belt around my waist. I walk down the hallway and look into the living room towards the front door. For some reason, I nervously inch towards the door and peer through the peep hole. The hallway outside of my apartment is dark but I can clearly make out a figure standing in front of my door. I cautiously pull the door open and wait for whoever is out there to say something. Do something.