black nail polish

Start from the beginning

Unfortunately for me, math hadn't changed on my schedule and I found myself lugging the ridiculously huge calculus book to first block and sinking low in my chair the moment the waste of paper hit the rickety desk. There was a new seating arrangement and I thanked God Violet was sat next to me, only that was poor planning on my teacher's part. The calculus teacher at Charlotte High was way too young and pretty to be considered smart but surprisingly enough, Mrs. Aaron was a genius. She liked me okay and yeah I was pretty stellar at calculus but that didn't make this class any less dreadful.

"Hey punk, how was break? We hardly hung out," Violet rushed out just as the bell rang and propped her converse up on the desk.

"Not long enough and shut up you were busy with Lucky," I smirked at her and rolled my eyes as she instantly lit up at her boyfriend's name.

She sighed loudly, "Lucky Blu. I'm tellin' ya Luna he's one hell of a guy."

"Yeah with his guitar playing, swimmer body, swooped up self. Violet I know."

"You know what?"

I raised my brow at her, "No. What?"

"You need to get yourself a dude so we can double date and shit," She hit my shoulder and I just shook my head at her.

"When a rustic artist, that dresses in black and has an old soul comes to Charlotte High let me know."

She rolled her eyes then, she knew how I'd answer, "Or you could give up your hatred against beach boys and settle down for a while. They're not that bad. Lucky isn't."

I twirled a white wave around my finger and pushed back a loose strand, "Lucky's different than the usual beach boy babe. He's cool. Good taste in music and his hair is silver for Christ's sake."

"His eyes are still blue and his skin is still tan, which makes him a beach boy. And I'd say his hair is more white like yours. Maybe there are other punk beach boys out there," Violet wiggled her brows.

I laughed slightly, "Shut up Violet."

She shrugged, "Just sayin'."

A few seconds later Mrs. Aaron paced into the room, panting with her light brown hair flying around everywhere.

"Sorry I'm late guys this ass in front- oh shit I just cussed- damnit!" She sputtered out as she set down her mound of books and sloshed her coffee onto her desk.

Small rumbles of laughter emitted from the class and she shook her head at herself.

"So guys how was break?" She smiled at us and smoothed out her shirt.

Silence.

"Yeah, okay, nothing's changed. We're still learning about limits and you're still going to hate them no matter what so let's just get this over with."

Miss Aaron wasn't generally a morning person which doesn't really benefit teachers at all but her depressed rambling was comical to me and I felt like I understood her more than most kids even cared to. Violet sat back picking at her nails, reminding me I still need to paint mine and half of the class was asleep. I paid attention to the way Mrs. Aaron self consciously tugged at everything; her hair, shirt, sleeves, necklace, you name it. I never really listened to the lessons because the notes were online and calculus was easy, for me at least. Being one of two juniors, the other being Violet, in a senior majority class was annoying and I wondered why the counselor rejected my request to take this as an online class, because I basically did that anyway.

The block dragged on until exactly nine thirteen and I gathered my things and smacked a sleeping Violet on her grey speckled sweater covered arm.

"Jesus that was a good nap," She yawned as she clumped along side me.