late night thoughts

"My nose is fine Zain. I've been putting the stuff on it like you told me," I told him into the phone.

It was a Sunday night and I hadn't really heard from him since I left his house. I'm not really sure what I expected to happen once we came back from Europe. Not this, apparently.

He gave a short breath like he was about to laugh and then decided not to, "That isn't what I rang you up about."

I scrunched my eyebrows together and curled up further into my pillows, "Then what?"

"I would've come to your house but I don't know where your castle is. Though since it's so big, it probably wouldn't be that hard to find," he teased.

I stopped myself from smiling, "So you admit I'm a princess since I'm living in a castle?"

"Hardly," he quipped.

"Your contact name says otherwise," I bit my lip, referring to my contact name: Princess Yue.

"Shut up Luna," he laughed slightly.

I shook my head and went to take my record off of the phonograph, "What are you calling about jackass?"

"Meet me at my house," he told me cryptically.

I raised a brow, "Why?"

He sighed, "Just do it."

I contemplated how easy it would be for him to kill me before I just decided to give in, "Fine. I'll be there in ten."

Padding over to my closet, I quickly changed out of my nightgown and slipped on a striped t-shirt dress and my boots. My hair had long dried since my shower so I just left it be. And honestly I didn't even know why I was worried about my hair or how I looked at all. It didn't matter if it was Zain or Matty Healy, I didn't have to impress anyone. I grabbed my purse and headed quietly out of the door so that my mother wouldn't hear me and ask questions. It was almost ten on a school night so I hoped whatever he wanted to show me or whatever wouldn't take very long. I hated getting up for school as it was and it would be especially hard to adjust after such a long break. Ciara purred to life and I listened to my nighttime playlist on low as I made the drive to Zain's house. It was getting more familiar the third time around and I rolled my eyes.

Never would I have thought that I would practically memorize the way to that demon's house. Stupid evil demon. That's what he was. Messing with my emotions and practically taking over my life without me noticing. Honestly who did he think he was? Piercing my nose to make me feel better (though I really loved it) and then that lame ass good-bye. I shouldn't give him the time of day. But I was far too attached to be thinking that now. I figured it was close to my time of the month so I just let myself rant the rest of the way to his house.

When I pulled up, he was sitting on his driveway, leaned up against the garage and smoking a cigarette. Of course. When did he not have one of those death wishes in his mouth? I ignored the whole attractiveness aspect of the bad habit and got out of the car, trying to wish away the nerves that were inevitably building up inside of me.

He offered me his cigarette like he always did but I was too moody to give in so I just kept my arms crossed and gave him a look. He shrugged and brought it back to his mouth, putting his hands on his knees until he was almost a foot taller than me. I hated that I was that much shorter than him. It made me feel like he had the upper hand. Literally.

"What did you want to show me?" I asked, almost irritably when he didn't say anything or make a move to go anywhere.

He motioned for me to follow him as he straddled his bike. He handed me his red helmet and clipped the buckle underneath my chin gently. I kept my breathing normal with his proximity and tried not to look up at the gaze that I knew was glowing right then. I straddled the bike and reluctantly wrapped my arms around his waist. The engine rumbled below me, a feeling I wasn't quite used to but had felt before. He slowly moved onto the street before he sped up and went in the opposite direction that I had come.