2. Home at last

"So, we're here." I slowed Winter down till she came to a stop, jumping off the wagon. Felix and Topaz followed soon after, landing beside me.

Nostalgia overwhelmed me as I looked around my hometown. It was a simple town, a line of houses leading to a small market at the end of it. The other end of the road was nothing but trees, we being in the first lane of the Town.

"Your hometown's... simple." Felix remarked. Watching as many children rushed towards the wagon, however still keeping their distance from it.

"What's up with them?" He asked, looking at the children.

"Well, you see, my town has limited exposure to Spiritmals. None of us living here actually own any as hardly any appears in the woods nearby. Whenever a trainer with a spiritmal comes by, the children would all come and try their best to take a peep. However, no one would actually go close to the Spiritmals as the trainers would usually shoo them away."

"Tough luck." Felix replied. "You grew up like this?"

"Yea." I nodded. "Really lives up to the name of peasant, doesn't it?" I joked, signaling to the Spiritmals on the wagon to jump down and form a straight line.

Felix didn't answer.

"Hey there Emily! I'm back!" Tim came riding in on Fang, landing beside me.

I smiled at him before turning my attention to the children of the village. They were currently going crazy with the prospect of being able to see so many Spiritmals at once, poking and talking to one another. The faint chattering was growing and getting louder by the second as the children eyed the ten candidates for adoption.

"They seem excited." Fang remarked.

"Yea..." I replied. Suddenly remembering that Felix had never met Tim before.

"Oh yea! Felix, this is Tim. A postman who I've gotten to know at Seamon Town. And Tim, this is Felix, he's a racer." I introduced the two of them.

"Nice to meet you!" Tim shook his hand... harder than most people would.

"Ummm... Nice to meet you too." Felix replied, seemingly awkward.

"Hey Emily!" I heard two familiar voices, looking in their direction to see John and Emma running towards me.

"John, Emma, long time no see." I greeted them, giving Emma a hug.

"And... who are they?" Felix answered, seemingly confused with the number of people I know, even though it was only a mere few.

"John and Emma are my siblings." I explained, giving the said people grins. "And Emma and John, these are the friends I've made on my travels. Felix, his lionblitz Topaz, Tim, and Fang, his wolfabeast."

John's eyes widened. "Actual Spiritmals..." he grinned, eyeing Felix. "You look familiar somehow..." he remarked.

"Perhaps you've seen him somewhere." I replied John. "On another note, do you want one of your own?" I asked him.

"One what?" He looked at me, confusion written all over his face.

"A spiritmal of course." Felix replied, lifting Topaz up when he realized that the lionblitz was yet again playing with his shoelaces.

"Really?" John exclaimed, Emma just looking on at the situation with a slightly shocked expression on her face.

"You may or may not know that I'm doing a giveaway today." I winked at him, walking back towards the line of Spiritmals.

"It can't be..." John gasped. "You're that professor! The one who refuses to let the press take any photos of her or anything at all. The one who's been going around to give giveaways at random towns!"

I chuckled, "it's a big surprise huh?"

He nodded in excitement.

"Now, do me a favor and ask your friends," I gestured to the crowd. "To come closer and have a look. I plan to help ten Spiritmals find new homes today." He was about to run off. "And oh! Please get their parents to come as well, this would require parental consent."

"Of course!" He ran off, announcing to the children that they may be lucky enough to get a Spiritmal on that very day.

The crowd then dispersed, probably to go home and find their parents.

"So, you've found a job huh?" Emma smiled.

"Yea." I replied, calling all the Spiritmals towards me.

"Is She your sister?" A scalmental asked.

"Are you sure I'll find a home?" The darkrancruel from earlier asked once more. I chose not to answer him.

"You guys are going to have a shot on finding a home today." I addressed all ten Spiritmals. "So remember to be yourselves so that the trainers would have an idea on how to care for you guys and would know who suits them the most. Ok?"

"Ok!" The Spiritmals agreed.

Meanwhile, I caught Emma looking at them longingly.

"Winter! Come over here please!" I called my wolfabeast over. She complied immediately, running over to my feet.

"This is Winter, my wolfabeast. Feel free to pet her if you want too. Winter, this is Emma, my sister."

"Cool! You've a sister?" Winter walked over to her rubbing against her feet a little.

"Whoa... you've an actual Spiritmal!" Emma grinned, picking Winter up. "But then, I'll be surprised if you didn't have one by now, considering your job. In fact, I'm surprised that you've only got one!"

I flinched a little at the statement. It went unnoticed to my sister, however, I had a feeling that someone else caught the movement. I just didn't know who it was.

"Oh yea, Emily," a voice called me. I looked up to see Tim, grinning as usual. "Yes, what is it Tim?"

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" He slid forward dramatically, a cupcake with icing and the chocolate words 'Emily' in his hands.

I awkwardly looked at Tim, noticing a facepawing Fang in the background.

"Oh gosh! I forgot!" Emma groaned. "It really is your birthday today..."

Meanwhile, Felix was speechless. Wondering what just happened.

"Oh yea... today's February 23rd." I heard Winter muttering to herself.

"So, here's a small cupcake Emily." Tim pushed the cake into my hands. "Now, I think I'll have to get going. I've extra deliveries to make today."

And with that, he was off. Making me wonder if he had only met us for the cake delivery.

"I ship Timily." Emma whispered in my ear. I groaned, Emma had always been a shipper. "We're just friends." I replied her with certainty in my voice. "Nothing more than that."

"Tell me when the wedding date has been decided." Was all she replied, Winter twitching her nose in amusement.

Seriously Emma? I'm only 13! I thought to myself. However, I just kept quiet, keeping the cake in a lunchbox I've always brought along with me and going back to calm down the excited Spiritmals.
———————

So... another boring chapter. Sorry about that. I'm literally writing chapter 6 right now and the real excitement hasn't started yet.

I think I'll need to merge chapters if this goes on.