chapter 2 || northern lights.

When Zak woke up the next morning, Darryl wasn't on his bed

When Zak woke up the next morning, Darryl wasn't on his bed. He wasn't even in the room. Maybe he's downstairs. Zak thought. He limped over to the stairs and headed down, clenching on to the railing for support.

Once he got down the stairs, he saw Darryl crouching by the furnace, boiling something in a pot on top of it. He walked closer. "What are you making?" Zak asked, which caused Darryl to jump.

He turned around and said, "Zak, you're up! How are you feeling?"

Zak glanced down at his leg, then looked at Darryl, "Ehh, I've been better."

Darryl grinned, "at least you're feeling a little bit better."

"So... what are you making?" Zak asked.

"I was looking around and found someone's old journal. There's a lot of survival tips in there," Darryl mixed whatever he was making with a wooden spoon, "it says that if I melt snow, it will make fresh water."

"that's cool," Zak walked over to Darryl and looked inside the pan, "what else was in there?"

"I don't know, I only read a few pages. You can read it if you want." Darryl smiled. He pointed to a table where the book was laying. Zak walked over to it and picked it up.

The cover of the book was made with light brown leather. Zak ran his finger along the spine of the book. It was bound together by a leather strip. The pages were rough on the ends but smooth on the top. The book was hand-made— assumably by the person who resided there before them.

He noticed the tiny details in the illustrations made with a charcoal pencil. The writing of the words was nice, too. It gave Zak a pleasant sensation.

"In a bit, I'm going out to search for food. The book says that there's a nice berry patch around here somewhere." Darryl said.

"Can I come with?" Zak asked.

"You can, but I don't think it'll be good for your leg," Darryl stated.