Chapter: XI - Pathfinder

"Well, it certainly is abandoned." Stated Devika once the group was well into the ruins.

"If I had a gold piece for every obvious thing you've pointed out I could melt down the riches and make myself new armor!" Manju yelled from the rear as Devika rolled her eyes.

The cool night air was still trapped in the ruin, making it easier and more pleasant to venture through at midday. The entrance had a small hallway that quickly turned to steps that led down. Then, after descending the steps for forever, they finally let off to a landing that opened to a huge prayer chamber. Everything was made from polished sandstone and marble, but the lack of light made the groups individual lanterns insufficient to make out specific details. What they could see were pots and urns of varying sizes and shapes running along the edge of the floor and congregating in corners. Ganondorf raised his lantern and found letters covering the entirety of the ceiling. Some of the letters were the same Gerudo-like letters he made out on the effigy outside, but the majority of markings were some strange lettering that was completely foreign in both structure and use. Ganondorf could've taken the time to examine them if the stale tomb air wasn't making his eyes water.

"Goddess, why is it so hard to breath down here?" echoed Ganondorf's complaint.

"Isn't that bad to me. It's your first time, you're just not used to it." Devika scoffed at him.

But it wasn't just the air affecting Ganondorf. The entire space around him seemed to cave in and there was an overwhelming sense of urgency in the walls of the room. The entire space felt wrong and there was something watching them from everywhere. He needed to get out and it had to be now.

"Listen guys," Ganondorf casually said, trying to play off the sudden sense of urgent anxiety, "I think we need someone outside to make sure we have a way out. Sound good? I nominate myself. No objecions? Good. Bye!"

"Hold it right there!" Nabooru grabbed the boy's shoulder and spun him around, "Where do you think you're going?"

"I was just gonna-"

"We need to stick together. As a team. Got it?"

"Don't worry. Just drink some water. It'll be ok." Devika offhandedly remarked.

Ganondorf couldn't really come up with a better excuse to leave so he did as he was instructed and took a swig from his half-full canteen. The water did help a little but his head still felt fuzzy and the space still felt very uninviting.

"This place just feels wrong. Like we're not supposed to be here."

"We're not!" Kanta's hiss pierced Ganondorf's ears as she whispered directly next to his head.

"Goddess, Kanta! Don't do that!"

"Quiet. This is a forsaken place. We don't want to wake those who slumber here."

"And who exactly am I waking in a damn tomb!" Ganondorf shouted as he rubbed his ear.

This time the entire party collectively hushed him, all with stern looks in their eyes. They waited a moment, all staring at Kanta, who looked like she was searching for something. She must've found what she was looking for as she started walking through a doorway with the others tailing behind. After a moment of confusion, Ganondorf felt a large hand on his shoulder.

"Take it from us," Gita said before moving past him, "when Kanta says creepy shit like that, you listen."

Ganondorf's brow furrowed, "Why?"

"Because she's saved our skins more than once. She's got good instincts."

"Alright then." Ganondorf shrugged it off, "But why'd she have to get right in my ear?"