10. Failing and planning

Start from the beginning

Magnus bit his lip, and turned a bit. Alec saw him giving a glare to the man who had spoken.

"Seriously, Magnus. I mean... He's a Shadowhunter, so why not? He could... Help us."

Alec, still with Magnus' cat in his arms, sat up on the sofa and looked at the owner of the deep voice.

He saw a man, definitely older than Magnus, with silver hair, greenish weird eyes, green skin, (Alec supposed that that was his Warlock Mark), and a serious expression; Alec couldn't find words to describe his outfit. The only thing he could say what that they looked so old, but at the same time amazing.

Magnus sighed, and said, "Ragnor, this is Alec. Alexander, this is Ragnor Fell, one of my oldest and dearest friends."

Alec just nodded, but Ragnor spoke. "Did you know that your hair looks like the nest of two birds who had an argument and killed each other in it?" He said, in a harsh tone.

Alec immediately blushed furiously and lowered his head, apologizing to himself in whispers.

Magnus shot a warning look at Ragnor, and placed a hand on Alec's shoulder.

"Ragnor!" Hissed Magnus.

Alec was so ashamed, and he could only think about how right Ragnor was. His hair was always a mess. He really had to style it or something.

"What? In just telling him the truth!" The Warlock with green skin exclaimed.

"You didn't have to, if the truth had to hurt him!" Magnus said, with his thumb rubbing Alec's neck.

Alec was still red, and fearing Ragnor's next words.

"What did you want me to do then? Lie to him like the Clave lied to us? To you, to me, Catarina, Raphael, and the entire Downworld?!"

Silence.

There was a long silence.

They could all three feel the tension in the room, between them. Surprisingly, Alec was the one who decided to break the silence.

"What do you mean?" He asked, and looked at Ragnor; well, for a second. He lowered his gaze to the floor, a second later after having seen Ragnor's glare.

"Excuse me?" The silver-haired Warlock asked.

Alec blushed a bit, and looked at his hands, resting in his lap.

"Well, uhm... You just said that the Clave lied to you... What happened? What d-did they say to y-you? How did they lie to you?"

Magnus, who had turned pale when Ragnor had spoken, was shaking his head, but Ragnor ignored him, and looked at Alec who was not willing to look at Ragnor while he spoke.

"The Clave... Called each one of the Downworld representatives, for a Downworld Cabinet Meeting. The Consul, the Inquisitor and some other Shadowhunters-..."

He was cut off with Magnus' voice.

"Ragnor, stop. It doesn't matter. Alexander doesn't need to know about all this..."

"The Consul... And the Inquisitor..." Muttered Alec to himself. The two Warlocks looked at the blue-eyed Shadowhunter, who was talking to himself. "That's... My father and Imogen Herondale. Right?"

Ragnor slowly nodded; Magnus was looking at Alec, waiting for the Shadowhunter panic or freak out, but Alec, to all's surprise, stayed calm.

"Tha-That means... That means my mother a-and all their anti-downworld, racist, and... Homophobic..." Alec took a deep breath, and squeezed a bit Chairman Meow, who was still in his arms. Magnus saw Alec's move, and placed his hand a bit closer to the Shadowhunter's neck. His thumb was brushing Alec's jaw. "Friends... Are involved."