Chapter 10~Family Reunion

~Astrid's PoV~

   "You'll be fine, you just sprained last night." Valka said, placing a splint on my right wing. "This means no flying for a week."

   "ASTRID?!" A dragon called out, and judging by the dragon's accent it was a Death Song. 'No way.' I thought and spun around, almost tripping on my tail and falling flat on my face.

   Sure enough, a Death Song I hadn't seen since before my capture was at the entrance of the clinic cave. "Garff!" I say enthusiastically, running over to hug him.

   "You know this Death Song?" Valka asked me incredulously. "Yeah." I reply.

   "What are you doing here? Everyone thinks you're dead!" Garff asks. "Even Stormfly?" I ask and his face becomes forlorn.

   "She didn't make it." He growls softly. For a moment I'm silent, then what he said sinks in and I run out of the cave, crying.

   Lunala meets me outside and I jump onto her back, flying to our little seastack wich is located in the shadow of the  center pillar of the sanctuary.

   "What's wrong, sister?" She asks,  gently licking my tears off my face.

   "WHAT'S WRONG IS THAT MY DRAGON DIED ON THAT HUNTER SHIP BECAUSE SHE PUTS MY SURVIVAL OVER HER OWN!!!!" I scream out in Dragonese, sobbing again. "Shhh, calm down my half-Viking sister. Why don't you draw a picture of her? That way you can remember her and show me what she looked like at the same time." Lunala suggests, pulling my journal out of my satchel and placing it on my lap.

   'Astrid; Valka and Cloudjumper are going on their morning patrol.' the Alpha said. 'I'm sorry about your loss. From what Duskfire and Whitecloud told me when you arrived, she sounds like she was a loyal companion. And I've allowed Garffiljorg to stay if places himself on the same fish-only diet as the other Death Songs.'

   "Okay Alpha." I relpy, and start drawing. A little while later, however,  I stop drawing, grab my cloak, and hide as my heightened hearing hears the one voice I thought I would never hear again.

  Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the III.

~Hiccup's PoV~

   I couldn't believe it! All this time I thought my mother was dead,  she was just here, rescuing dragons.

   I had just met the Alpha and Mom & I were now outside hovering above the ocean.

   "I thought you said we were going to eat?" I question her.

   "Oh we are." She replies cryptically, gesturing down to the water below us. I look down in time to see Mom's Bewilderbeast spit hundreds of fish into the air. I just gape at all the dragons flying through the fish raining down on us as my mom laughs.

   Timeskip to map scene

   As I'm showing her my map,  I realize that Mom's expanding it. She's been farther than I have!

   "My friend Ingrid would love your map." Mom commented. "Wonder how her daughter's doing? She was born a month before you, today,  in fact."

   At this revalation, I froze. I stood up, tucked my journal/map back into its pocket and flew back towards the sanctuary. With my Dad trying to make me Chief, discovering Eret and his trappers with Heather, Dad trying to convince me not to go talk to Drago, and finding my mom; I had completely forgotten that today was Astrid's birthday.