Chapter Forty

Author's note: Hey everyone! I hate that it took me a month to update this book with another chapter and I had promised to post it last week but I won't lie I was finding it really difficult to write this chapter. but I will be posting it regardless because I forget that this book is in its first draft and I feel it's the rawest version of my writing and I always want to stick to that no matter what. I really hope you enjoy this chapter as much as i enjoyed writing it and please vote, comment and share this story with your friends, i'd appreciate it. 

***I present to you: Chapter Forty***

When Nolwazi woke up, she realized she was on a  hospital bed. She slowly turned her head to the side and found Lindiwe in a chair beside her, sleeping. Relief came over her in knowing she wasn't alone and that Lindiwe was alright. There was no sign of Thato in the room and She began to feel anxious. She rose from her bed and immediately, a sharp pain radiated through her right shoulder. she looked down to find bandages wrapped around her shoulder. She frowned, not remembering what happened to her. Her groans woke Lindiwe up from her nap and when she realized Lwazi was awake, she came to her bedside. 

"Welcome back, Sleepyhead." Lindiwe said with a small smile. She swore Nolwazi had nine lives like a cat. she survived the massacre in her hometown and survived a bullet to her shoulder all within the space of a day. she really has a fighting spirit, she thought in gratitude.

"What happened to me?" Nolwazi asked. sitting upright was proving to be difficult with her shoulder being injured. Lindiwe assisted in lifting her into an upright position. 

"You need to rest," Lindiwe said softly, "that bullet nearly took you out." she explained. 

"I-I was shot?" 

Lindiwe nodded before explaining further. "That idiot Thato drove right through the cops to escape." she chuckled while shaking her head. "they started firing their guns at us and you got hit as you ducked for cover." She spoke in a daze. She still couldn't believe they survived that attack.

"Where is Thato? is he okay?" The concern on Nolwazi's face really touched Lindiwe. Even when she was shot with a bullet, she'd always think of others. It made her think back to the day she came to Noah's rescue that day in the street. To this day, Lindiwe would always be grateful for her friend's courage and kind heart. 

"He's fine, don't worry," she assured him. "No injuries on him, it's like he's superman or something." The two giggled and the air felt lighter again; there was always something they could laugh about. 

"Let me get you a nurse. Thato will be back soon. I asked him to find some people for me that might be able to help us." she smiled reassuringly before leaving the room to get the nurse.

Another home destroyed, Nolwazi thought. she hoped she and Thato could be safe and lay low with Lindiwe for a while so they could find ways to find Thato's parents. Uncle Jabu and Aunt Dineo couldn't be too far away- maybe a neighboring township? They couldn't be too sure without trying to look for them and now that Alexander had been attacked, there was nowhere else to live and stay low. Nolwazi was beginning to feel like they couldn't catch their breath. every chance they had to take cover ended up being destroyed. Where else were they to go? 

Lindiwe returned with the nurse behind her. an elderly woman stepped in. With her afro high and mighty, she was dressed in a white coat and blue belt, holding a notepad in hand. she smiled softly as she approached Nolwazi and reviewed her notes before she spoke. 

"Hello Miss Ndlovu, I'm Nurse Lorato. How are you feeling?" she asked, there was a gentleness in her voice that Nolwazi liked.

"Hello, Nurse. I feel a bit sick and some pain in my arm."