"Haunted?" I laughed.

"It is! They used to do tours for paranormal investigators but now it's, like, someone's house. I would love to see inside that place though."

"Why don't we break in," said Asmodeus. I firmly objected.

"Well, let's just look at it. Maybe we will see a ghost in the yard," Bishop said.

It was easy to find, on our direct route, next to a gas station. We pulled into one of the parking spots on the side of the building nearest the house and Bishop and the demon got out.

"Here, Koke," Bishop said, handing me a credit card. "Go get some more Skittles. We are just going to poke around a little."

I couldn't say no to Skittles. Walking into the gas station, I saw my reflection in the sliding glass door for a second before it slid open. I thought I probably should have made myself look presentable before joining the public. My hair still had leaves in it.

When I'd been turned mortal, the body I'd been given was the human form I had worn most often since my genesis a fathomless time ago. I looked vaguely middle eastern, with long dark hair and brown eyes. I wasn't unnaturally handsome, but I wasn't horrible to look at either. The clothes were also of my creation, skinny jeans and a pink, long sleeved, button down shirt. Bishop had called me a 'hipster yuppie'. I tended to model my style after what I saw in sales ads Bishop got in the mail.

Too late to fix myself up, I went into the store and started shopping. By the time I was done I had five candy bars, three bags of chips, a pop, a pickle, and my Skittles: One bag of each three varieties available. I paid for them, having the very suspicious cashier talk me through it, and went outside into the fleeting day.

Back at the car, I looked over at the mansion to see if I could spot Bishop and hoped I didn't see him breaking and entering. There was a tall square tower looming up from the center of the three-story Victorian home. Its white, painted exterior seemed to glow against the dark trees beyond as the sun began its decent. Large bay windows lit up the front of the mansion, the ones fitted within the roof were dark and eerie. I didn't see a soul.

"Excuse me," said a polite voice from behind me.

I turned, finding an elegantly dressed gentleman of about thirty. He wore tan slacks, shining shoes, and a blue smoking jacket over a silken cream-colored shirt. He was nearly as pretty as Asmodeus and asked me for directions to the nearest "drinking establishment,' as he called it.

"Sorry," I said. "I am not from here."

"Traveling?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Alone?"

I wondered if I imagined that glitter in his eye...

"Um, no. My... friends are just on a walk," I said.

Then he looked very intent, as he asked, "When will they be returning?"

While I struggled for an answer that didn't leave me open to a kidnapping or murder, I spotted movement, over the man's shoulder, from near a green Honda parked at the pumps. It was Bishop, and he was waving his hands at me. When he saw me glance his way, he put on finger to his lips and with the other hand made a slashing motion across his throat.

"What are you doing to my car?" said the driver of the Honda, as he came out of the store's double doors.

The man looked behind him at the sound and before I knew it, I was caught in a headlock. The car was racing away, leaving Bishop and the demon exposed. I fought my captor but his unnatural strength threatened to strangle the life out of me. And I badly wanted that life to stay in me.