Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

'I will,' she said. 'What are your plans for today?'

'Oh, not much ' I said. 'I've kind of hit a dead end. I'll probably just have a wander around town.'

'Why don't you go and see Walter?' she suggested. 'He's working from home today, making some more stock. I'm sure he'd appreciate a hand, and he's always got tea and a sympathetic ear.'

'I don't know where he lives,' I said.

'Here, I'll write it down. I'm sure he won't mind me giving it to you.'

'Okay, thanks.'

It was exactly what I needed. Walter always said the right things and made me feel better about myself when I was feeling down. So I stopped off for coffee on the way over and took two takeaway lattes to the address that Gladys had given me. It didn't take too long to find. He lived in a flat above a shoe shop. I cut down the alleyway to the side and up a set of metal steps. There was a bell beside the door, which I pressed, trying not to spill the coffee as I did so. I waited for a couple of minutes before Walter appeared at the door.

'Ash,' he said. He seemed surprised to see me, but I had dropped in on him without calling first, so it was to be expected. 'What are you doing here?'

'I'm sorry,' I said. 'Gladys gave me your address. Hope its okay me stopping in live this.'

'Of course,' he said after a couple of moments, 'come in.' He stepped back and held the door open for me to go in.

'Thanks' I said.

'Go into the kitchen,' he said, 'I'm just working.'

'Need a hand?'

'Yeah, that's be great.'

'I've brought coffee.'

'Even better.'

I walked into the kitchen. It was small, but functional, with a fold way table taking up half the space. The whole surface of the table was covered with his materials. 'Take a seat,' he said. I handed him his coffee and he took a sip.

'I'm making friendship bands,' he said. 'Just like the one I gave you when we first met.'

'Can I make one for you?' I asked. 'I mean, I know they're like your materials and everything, but I'd like to make it and give it to you. I'll pay you full retail price.'

'You don't have to do that,' he said, 'just knowing you made it for me makes it special.'

'All right then,' I said. 'What do I need to do?'

'Take this thread and choose as many of the charms from this box as you want and feed them on. Pick colours that you think represent me. Let me know when you're done and I'll show you how to tie it off.'

I picked out bright colours, making it look like a rainbow. I watched as Walter finished off the band he was working on and did the same as he did. After I'd finished him, I handed it over. 'This is for you,' I said.

'Thanks Ash,' he said. He looked really touched. 'Good workmanship as well. If you ever wanted a job, just let me know.'

'If I was here any longer I might just take you up on that,' I said.

'Then why don't you? You must have plenty of your summer holiday left. Why not stay a while longer? You can help me on the stall. There's plenty for you to do.'

'It's tempting,' I said.

'Then what's stopping you? You already took a chance by coming here. Take another one and stay.'

'I'd really like to, but I can't. My mum has got stuff going on and I want to be there for her. Plus my best friend James, there's something going on with him and I can't quite work out what it is.'

'Well you know you're always welcome here. If Glad had other guests in her room, I always have a couch with your name on it.'

'Thanks, I'll remember that.'

We smiled at each other for a moment, then carried on working in a comfortable silence. We seemed to get loads done, and I felt good knowing I'd helped Walter make something that he would be able to sell.

'Can I use your bathroom?' I asked.

'Sure,' he said. 'It's on the right.'

'Okay, thanks.'

I got up and left the room, closing the door behind me. There was just one door to the left and two to the right. For some reason I went into the one on the left and found myself in his front room, rather than the bathroom. I couldn't help but look around. It was exactly as I expected it to look like; an antique grandfather clock, a rustic looking couch and lots of photos on the fireplace. I could see many of them were of a woman and a small child. The child got older on the photos until she was a young woman. I remembered him telling me he had a sister and a niece; this must be them.

I figured he wouldn't mind me taking a look. It was just another part of Walter I was getting to know. I was happy that he had family who he clearly loved so much.

In the middle of those photos, I saw a picture of Walter himself. It was pushed to the back and covered by other pictures in frames, but I could clearly see it was him. He was much younger, maybe twenty years old. But he had the same eyes; the same smile. I reached forwards to pick the picture up. He was standing beside a man in the photo, with their arms around each other's waists.

I recognised the man he was with too.
I knew it was impossible. The photo was taken fifty years ago. But I knew the face in the photo better than I knew any other.

The man Walter was with in the photo... was me.