| One | Curious Inquires

"Maybe there's something I'm missing because I just don't understand—," you paused to begin counting on your fingers. "You have~ signs of a break-in, three witness testimonies, and two inexplicable 'suicides'. But you're at a dead end?"

"Sweetheart—"

"I'm not your sweetheart."

The police captain let out a heavy sigh. "Ma'am." He waited a moment for you to protest. You narrowed your glare. "An open window isn't evidence of a break-in—"

"It's been jammed for years! And it's missing a screen!"

"All your mom's windows were missing screens!"

You raised your eyebrows matter-of-factly. "Not that one."

"And you and your boys aren't witnesses."

"By 'boys' you mean Andrew and my brother? My brother fucking found them!"

"He didn't see enough."

You puffed up your chest. "Enough? Seriously? He saw our parents, both covered in their own vomit, both dead. I think he saw plenty, Captain."

"It was a double-suicide, sweetheart. And there's nothing that says otherwise."

"I say otherwise!"

He massaged the area between his eyebrows. He had dark skin and wrinkles forming at the corners of his eyes and mouth. A gray section of kinky hair peeked out from under his cap.

"Listen. I get it. You and that Connor kid lost your parents. From the sounds of it, so did your friend. But until more evidence resurfaces, the case is on hold pending an official close. I need you to leave."

With a frustrated scream, you jumped up from the wooden chair that had been bruising your tailbone.

"This is why no one in movies ever goes to the fucking police!"

"Have a good evening, ma'am," he called after you. You slammed the door.

You huffed all the way out of the station onto the dimly lit street.

It wasn't long before you calmed down enough to regret your tantrum. It wasn't the most mature thing you'd ever done.

You let out a tight breath, watching as it floated away in the cold.

You felt so helpless, and you didn't know what to do. You knew your parents were murdered, but how could you help prove it? Did any evidence exist at all? You hadn't seen them for a few weeks before they died, but when you had, they were fine. Both of them. So what had happened?

Your phone rang, making you jump. Your phone screen stung your eyes when you looked at it. Andrew.

"Hello?"

You heard him suck in air before he began. "Hey! How was the captain? He hear you out yet?"

You leaned against a street light, tilting your head until the back of it tapped against the old metal.

"Sort of. He heard me, it wasn't enough."

"I'm sorry, that really blows. How can I help?"