Chapter 30 - Operation: The Final Problem

Start from the beginning

Apart from the ground team, the snipers have their own mission. We were tasked to take out the foreign secret agents that came to the country illegally and we received their positions or place of stay from the powerful government official.

This simple fact itself was absurd.

It was going too well.

I've got one more target left. I was reaching to his hideout. As I stepped onto the roof, I accidentally unleashed a booby trap and I heard the typical sounds of a shotgun clicking. Cursing, I jumped to avoid the blast and I felt shearing pain on my left thigh.

Letting out a yell of pain as I went down on one knee, I struggled to contain the burning sensation from overtaking my senses. It was a tough fight. My leg was burning. It hurts too much. Amidst the painful haze, I saw the agent running away.

"Motherfucker!"

I had to get him. I needed to complete my mission, so I did what I had to. Ignoring the pain, I set the rifle up and adjusted the scope. I took my time in getting the right shot and when I knew it was time, I took a deep breath, to settle my racing heart and another breath before I took the shot.

He dropped like a sack of potatoes before he could clear the roof.

"Goddamnit!" I yelled. "AHH!"

My leg looked disastrous. The bullets from the shotgun had embedded themselves onto my leg, the balls were splayed in an arc. I could see them glistening against the blood. I began to wrap a bandage around my thigh, just tight enough to slow the blood flow but not tight enough to restrict movement.

It hurt like a bitch and my energy is spent. I need to call for medic.

"This is BE-34, Lieutenant Amelia Irfan," I said breathlessly and sat to ease my aching leg, setting the rifle in-between me. "I need a medic ASAP."

"State your location."

I wanted to answer the order. Granted, it was an automatic response, but I stopped myself. No one answered the radio in such a way. Not even the corpsmen. They knew where I was, my last location. That order made me doubtful.

"State your position."

This is not good.

"Corpsmen, give me a sitrep," I said. Grunting with effort, I stood and grabbed the parapet as a wave of pain shot through me. "This is BE-34, calling to medic corpsmen, over!"

Silence over the radio comm meant that someone has hacked into the radio wave and listening to our highly classified conversation. I needed to move positions and get to safety immediately. I took out my earpiece and left it on the parapet, limping towards the cat ladder.

I knew where I needed to go next.

.

Kirishima heard the shotgun blast. He heard her yelling in pain. He tried not to react, but Akihito caught on almost instantaneously and gave him an innocent leer.

"Are you perhaps doing something behind my back, dear Kirishima?" Akihito asked serenely. "I've told you not to play with me, didn't I? Only one can play this game."

Kirishima could feel dread creeping up his spine. He didn't like what Akihito had said and he began to worry about Amelia. He heard her asking for a medic, repeated her order but no one answered. A few seconds after, there was no sound from her, which meant it was radio silence.