Chapter 5 - Operation Dawn

Working as a soldier meant that there were off-duty days after a gruelling mission. It was to allow the soldiers to take a rest – to switch off after the chaos, the horror and the reality of war. However, we knew it was futile because we are a bunch of hopeless souls.

Since I was off duty, it meant one thing.

Rising later than the sun.

It was autumn season, the temperature had dipped tremendously from the humid and sandy weather I had acclimatised to in my previous mission.

I woke up shivering, on the floor.

Muttering curses under my breath, I realised that I got too used to sleeping on hard grounds and uncomfortable mattresses that even sleeping on my bed felt too nice, too undeserving of me.

Rising up from the floor, I looked around my bedroom and went to open the curtains to allow the sun rays to enter. It used to be my sanctuary and its lost its lustre.

Sighing a little, I wandered out of my room and into the living room. It felt like an unknown space to me and as I used it like a hotel room, only meant for sleeping. If I had long missions, this apartment remains empty and quiet like its unoccupied.

It's time to clean this place up, I decided.

I started the washing machine, and while it spun, I cleaned the toilet and the bathroom. Once they smelt of lemon, I focused my attention to the kitchen, attacking the kitchen floor and the stove.

Hours later, I admired the hard work I had done to the apartment and made some breakfast. I made a cup of coffee as well, while I switched on some television to watch.

With breakfast done, I got into the shower and washed up. Not being able to wash up properly during my missions, having a proper shower was one of the many things you look forward to when you return home. Other than getting coffee as well.

Scrubbed clean and hair washed, I stepped out of the shower smelling of apples and let out a blissful sigh as I pulled on some clean clothes. If I'm not in uniform, jeans and shirts were my usual combination, and since it was cold, I pulled on a black turtle neck, a black hoodie and another jacket over.

Glancing at the clock, I realised it's time for my date.

On my off days, I visit my younger sister and we had already made a plan to meet up at her favourite café. Today, she'd bring her boyfriend along because she wanted to introduce him to me.

Her name was Amalina Irfan, and she is seven years younger than I am. Amalina is currently a second-year University Law student and she's on a scholarship so basically I'm providing her the basic necessities monthly.

Arriving at the café, I heard her voice calling for me in the distance and I turned around to see my baby sister waving at me furiously before running over. Laughing, she launched herself at me and hugged me tight.

"Oh Amy, I missed you so much!" she cried as she buried her face into my neck, squeezing me tightly. "You were gone for so long!!"

The boyfriend appeared soon.

Keeping an arm around her, I extended a hand over to the boyfriend who was smiling widely at me as if it was something he's used to. From her accounts, the boyfriend was a year older and has been helping her in her studies, giving her tips in examinations as well as keeping her motivated whenever she felt down.

The boyfriend looked kind-hearted and protective, his brown eyes were twinkling as Amalina was set down on her feet and I could see the love that they shared with each other in their body language. Seeing that made me smile, it reminded me of so long ago and I missed that.