Chapter 20: Wednesday 21st February

Start from the beginning

Robin walked beside, us both striding behind the rest of our team members. "I've noticed something." He stated.

"What?" I asked.

"You speak with more passion and emotion in you're voice when you're around the team," he looked at me softly, "or when we're alone together."

"I guess it's just something I've done my whole life." I said. "I think... I think I'm too scared to let my emotions seep through to people I don't have a connection with."

"I'm glad I'm one of those people, Ebony." He said. "But for the people when aren't, you can use your voice as an advantage."

"How?" I asked, surprised at the sudden change in topic, but also intrigued as to what Robin thought.

"Well, take tonight there with Gordon as an example. You wouldn't let down, and your tone made him know it." Robin smiled. "I take it you two didn't exactly get along in the past."

"That's probably an understatement."

A moment passed before I spoke again. "Thanks for being there for me." I said. "I know that I shouldn't have-"

Robin but me off me off when I felt him lean over and take my hand in his own. "Ebony, I'll always be there for you. Remember that."

He stopped, and looked deep into my eyes, still holding my hand. We had reached the bioship by now, and the team was starting to board. But Robin and I just stood there, staring at each other. He brushed my cheek with his spare hand, and pulled my close while he kissed me.

It only lasted a few unnoticeable seconds, but it still made me feel warm inside.

"We should get in the bioship." I told Robin quietly once we had pulled away.

"Okay." He replied, leading me onto the spacecraft.

I took the seat in front Robin's; sitting down steadily and clipping the belt around my waist. Sinking back into the moulded chair, I ran my fingers through my tangled hair, then reaching down into my pocket for a hairband. At least trying to put up the mess of knots may help with the situation.

"We'll get her back." Zatanna whispered from beside me. I nodded my head, more to assure myself than to agree with her.

Because in fact - this mission could end up very different form how we wanted it to.

###

The trip didn't fly by in a blur, but a anxiety filled space of time that had me constantly brushing my hands on my thighs.

Batman's orders were very vague. I suppose he knew the possible outcomes of this, considering all the unexpected, unknown things that were likely to occur. So here we all were, scattered in different locations around the entrance to Potley Orphanage, ready for Kaldur's signal that would tell us to converge and scour the building.

We couldn't use the mind link, as there were many fires burning in the area; as was normal in the Narrows, so M'gann was up in the bioship patrolling the border for any unusual activity. Our com. links see banned as well. Apparently Riddler had a talent in hacking, and any radio frequencies would be picked it sooner or later by niece.

So when the loud bird call sounded - we moved in.

Wally went first, speeding up to the door and dismantling the overly large security measures in place. As we stepped inside the wooden construct, I backed into the nearest wall and became a part of it.

Following my team mates through the simple, unlit halls, I looked around for any sign of where they might be hiding Zoella. So far we had only come across open doors that introduced tiny rooms with broken, moulded furniture. I found myself wishing that Thorn had given me more information.

Speak of the devil and she shall appear.

We stepped into what thought would have been the lounge room when this place was still running. Great big, thick, prickled vines hugged the most of the room - some of them already sprouting leaves.

And sitting in the middle of it, almost unnoticeable among the flora, Thorn sat cross legged. No surprise entering her expression.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next chapter up! Woohoo!!!! So I had a little bit of trouble nailing the talk between Ebony and Robin at the start, and had to rewrite about ten times. So I hope it's okay for you guys.

As you may have noticed, I decided to put a meme - yes, a meme - into the chapter. I found this the other day and couldn't help but wanting to share it with you all. So in light of that, I've now decided that in every chapter I will now find a meme, and post it. Just note that I will not make these, only find them on the Internet.

Another thing - I have decided, like I said in the chapter, that I will not do a sequel. How ever, I felt that this story would be a bit short because of where I wanted to finish it, and that it needed a little more... I'm not sure of the word. So IN THIS SAME BOOK, I will be doing a PART 2. It will be kind of like a sequel - okay it will be pretty exactly like a sequel, but I decided to just make it another part. (That reason may or may not Be because if the fact that I can't think of a name for the sequel...).

I honestly from the bottom of my heart apologise for putting you all through this rubbish with sequels and not and whatever. But this book is one of the very few of mine that has actually had some sort of success, and I've just not been really sure what to do with continuing and stuff.

Anyway, I wanted to thank all you lovely, angelic readers that have inspired me to keep in writing this story. We are almost at 5k and I wanted to thank you all for making this write very, very happy. Your reading means the world to me and appreciate it all so much.

Until next time, stay whelmed.