Chapter VIII: I Care, I Care Not

Start from the beginning

"Good thinking, Tess," Jules pondered in the meanwhile, glancing over at the list in Lisa's hands, "we will also need to find a way to hold a good three-hour meeting with all of these women you have listed without raising suspicion or being overheard."

Lisa shook her head heavily. "There are at least forty women listed here," she bit on her lower lip, "how are we supposed to talk to such a large group without attracting anyone's attention?"

I crossed my arms. "Very true," I agreed, "which is why we should choose a day where there are many, many people in attendance at the royal court – so many, in fact, that a gathering of forty within the castle would not look too odd to the passer-by."

Jules and Lisa nodded, thinking.

"And preferably soon," I added, frowning, "my mentor informed me today that Lady Madeleine's father, Lord Bertrand, is trying to push forward the date of her hearing to have her convicted sooner."

A momentary silence fell over the bedchamber, as the three of us plunged into our own thoughts. The castle was rarely ever crowded. The only time it was teeming with guests was when foreign sovereigns visited, or during state functions.

Neither of which was going to take place this winter season.

Suddenly, Jules sat upright and stared hard at me. "There is such a day coming up soon," she told me slowly, thinking before the words left her lips, "not only will we have sufficient time to write and send out those letters, but the women will also have enough to make up their minds on whether they wish to meet us."

Lisa leaned forward. "When?"

Jules did not avert her gaze from mine. Dread began to stir in the bottom of my heart. Somehow, I already knew of the day she was referring to.

Rationally speaking, it would be a good day for our meeting. All of the nobility, most especially its women, would be flocking to attend the event happening on that day. It mattered not how I felt about that day, or about the event.

It mattered not at all.

"Seven days from today," I whispered, "Ned and Evie's engagement day."

***

Later that evening, Lisa insisted on walking me back to my chambers. She and Jules were adamant that I should not roam the hallways alone, now that my mother was living within murdering distance from me.

They spoke true, but I was not accustomed to such concern.

"I noticed that you included Liv," Lisa was saying now, "in that list of forty women."

I tilted my head at her. "Of course I did. She is the Duke of Tessensohn's only daughter, and the heiress presumptive to that dukedom," I answered quietly, "is there a reason why I should not have?"

"Oh, nay, I did not mean that," she assured me, "since she is your closest friend, I was only wondering if she already knows about the petition you are going to draw up."

I remained silent for a long while. "Nay, she does not," I admitted reluctantly, "she does not even know I am studying law, let alone that I am helping Lady Madeleine with her case."

Lisa simply raised an eyebrow at me.

"I will speak to her about it before I send out the letters," I added evasively, "now will you cease staring at me?"

She began to laugh. "Oh, Tess – "

Just as we were about to turn a corner, however, I suddenly noticed a whirlwind appear out of nowhere. Before the image could register in my mind, it collided hard against my legs.