Chapter XXIV: To Feel, And Be Felt

Lady Katherine Harrington of Johanne

14 October, Year 1 of Sebastian VI, Emperor of the Longbournian Nations' reign

Longbourne Military Academy for Women, Amöneburg

The Longbournian Nations

While our colleagues were organising a team and making preparations to go down to the caves, the Princess and I stayed in the sanatorium with Cadets Eichmann and Hartmann.

"For the Lord's sake, drink this tonic and sit still, Cadet," the Princess rolled her eyes, as she held up a glass towards Cadet Hartmann.

Cadet Hartmann was almost bouncing on her bed in anticipation, as she grabbed the glass and gulped it all down in one go.

"Louisa, you should come with us," she was actively trying to persuade her friend, "we could use all the help we can get."

For the umpteenth time, Cadet Eichmann shook her head. "I will be of no help," Cadet Eichmann sighed, and sank against her pillows, "I am so tired. The Lord knows where you get your energy from."

Indeed, the child looked terrible. Thick eyebags hung from her lower eyelids, and it cost her a lot of effort to even make the slightest movement.

"Mayhap you should sleep now, Cadet Eichmann," I eyed her worriedly, feeling her rather warm forehead, "you look very ill."

"I tried to, but I cannot, Ma'am," she mumbled, "every time I close my eyes, all I see are those wretched caves."

Cadet Hartmann's eyes softened. "Louisa – "

"Do not worry about me, Amelie," she attempted a wobbly smile, "you go on ahead. And do tell our friends I wish them a speedy recovery when you find them."

Before Cadet Hartmann could answer, the sanatorium doors swung open.

"We have assembled in the courtyard, and we are ready to leave," Corporal Stauffenberg stood on the threshold, "Cadet Hartmann, do you need one of us to carry you?"

"Ma'am, may I remind you that I made my way from the caves to the Academy all on my own?" Cadet Hartmann was indignant, "of course I can walk to the courtyard by myself!"

To prove her point, she swung her legs off the bed, and almost pushed the Princess to the ground in her haste, as she sprinted out of the sanatorium, past Corporal Stauffenberg.

The Princess was trying hard not to laugh, as Corporal Stauffenberg shook her head tiredly.

"That girl will be the death of me," she muttered, before, "come, let us go, Archery Mistresses."

I turned to my colleagues. "If you do not mind, I would like to stay behind and keep an eye on Cadet Eichmann," I requested, "leaving her unprotected again will be nothing short of a folly. Should there be another attack on the Academy in your absence, my first priority will be to bring her to safety."

The Princess tilted her head at me. "Are you sure? I can – "

"Aye, I am certain, Mistress Hohenstaufen. I am past the age when I believed that all glory lies in battle," I remarked dryly, "all the best with your mission. You too, Corporal Stauffenberg."

Cadet Eichmann tried to sit upright, anxious. "Ma'am, please go ahead with the mission without worrying about me. I do not want to be a bother – "

"You are not a bother, Cadet. Mistress Harrington is right – you are not safe until all of your captors are rounded up," the Princess assured her gently, "take care, and get well soon."