Bonus Chapter: Coming Home

22 November, Year 14 of King Nicholas IV of Monrique's reign

Bordeux Barracks, Bordeux

Monrique

The young man ties the last knot of his knapsack, and hoists it on his back.

His baby blue eyes then sweep one last time around the cramped, now empty army quarters - across the floor, the bunk beds, the plain wooden desk - carefully checking for any belongings he may have forgotten to pack. He is the last to leave. The rest of his colleagues who have completed their training left for their respective military posts earlier that morning.

He takes a deep breath, as he turns his back on the door. Another chapter of his life has thus ended, and yet another is about to begin.

Gripping his knapsack, he walks down the corridors with swift, confident strides, and makes his way to the training grounds. Among the sea of Cadets and their superiors milling about the grounds, he looks around for a few moments, before he finds the man he seeks by the front gates, leaning against his horse.

"Lawrence!"

One of the army's messengers, who is munching on a piece of loaf, almost drops his food at the sound of his voice. Stuffing it in his back pockets, he entrusts his horse to the guards by the gates, and quickly waddles towards the young man. He stops a few feet away from him to give him a crisp salute.

"Corpo - pardon, Captain, Sir."

The young man nods at him once. "When are you leaving?"

"In a few minutes' time, Sir," Lawrence answers him, patting the already bulging sack strung across his torso.

"Good. I need you to deliver a letter for me to Roche Manor," the young man instructs quietly, "directly to Her Grace the Duchess of Roche." He reaches into his pocket to take out a neatly folded piece of parchment, and hands it over to him, who places it with great care in his sack.

"Certainly, Sir. I - "

"Did you understand me, Lawrence?" he emphasises, "it must reach only the Duchess, and no one else."

He is perplexed. "Sir, I will directly deliver it to the Duchess. There will not be a problem - "

"And I am telling you that there will be one," the young man explains, "the moment you reach the front gates of Roche Manor, a child, of about seven years of age, will run over to greet you. That little devil will sweet-talk you - "

"I beg your pardon, Sir, but are you referring to Lord Julien of Roche?" Lawrence clarifies.

"Oh, nay. Julien cannot cause any trouble even if he tried," his voice is wry, "I am referring to his younger brother, Ted."

Lawrence nods in understanding.

"Before you even realise what is happening, Ted will have managed to procure from you the purpose of your visit, promised you that he will pass along the letter to his mother the Duchess, and sent you on your way," he sighs, "which is why it is crucial that you do not entertain him in the slightest, under any circumstances. Simply ignore him when he approaches you, proceed into the Manor, request to see Her Grace, and give her this letter." Despite the exasperation in his words, a ghost of a smile unfolds on his face at the mention of his cousin.

"I will be careful, Sir. I will reach Roche in a day and a half," Lawrence assures him, "in fact, I will leave right away - "

"No need. Finish your dinner before you leave," the young man gestures to the loaf of bread sticking out of Lawrence's pockets, "and thank you."