Chapter 15.5 (extra)

A/N: Sorry about the wait; I have to rewrite chapter 16 (I don't know how, but it got deleted), so have an extra.

--I-AM-A-LINE---

"Just like that, you became but a memory."

--I-AM-A-LINE---

Kirishima sprawled happily on the floor, the firm surface comfortable against her back, as she watched the blonde coax the fireplace to life.

This all felt so familiar to her, and when she closed her eyes, another scene came to mind. The wood beneath her turned to soft grass, and the warm glow of the fire carried her away. She arrived at a place she thought had long been forgotten, surrounded by silhouettes of those she thought she would never see again.

Kirishima's breath caught in her throat, and soon she felt as if her chest was on fire. Yet she was content to let it burn.

She had kept them out of her thoughts for far too long. The surrounding faces began to blur and she could no longer recall the sweet tones of their voices. Oh,  how she missed their songs. No matter how she strained, all she heard was an entanglement of sound, the voices of many undistinguishable by even one.

"I'm sorry."

She had forgotten it all.

Kirishima brought her knees to her chest and wrapped her arms around herself as if to keep what little she had left of her memories inside. What was home if there was no one left waiting for you? She could no longer remember.

Faces, voices—would her memories follow suit? She remembered vast skies and endless valleys, yet with whom she shared those peaceful times, she could not remember. They were nothing more than empty shadows of a time long past.

Kirishima smiled sadly at the last face she could remember, and he smiled back. Perhaps she hadn't forgotten everything.

--I-AM-A-LINE---