5 - Lost Moon

Jiang Cheng? Are you awake?

Jiang Cheng could vaguely hear a voice somewhere. His mind was a maze, hazy figures darting back and forth while the landscape around him was fog dense. That voice once again called, but softer this time, almost childish.

"Jiang Cheng! Wake up!" the phrase echoed around him WaKe Up! wAkE Up!...

He snapped awake to an empty room. The decorations weren't too expensive, more like a simple inn. Looking out the window, he could see the busy crowd below, some shopping, some selling. A large gate sign farther away displayed the golden inked words, Mistfall Valley. How did I get here?

He quickly grabbed his sword and dashed downstairs, making sure to tuck the bedding neatly before leaving. It was a strange habit from raising Jin Ling. He never thought raising a kid would really have an affect on him.

Once outside, Jiang Cheng was surprised to see the amount of people flocking up to him.

"Mister, our store has a special discount. 2 charms for the price of one!"

"Wine! Specially brewed wine! This is the famous Noir, only brewed once in a millennium!"

"Silk here! Finest quality in town! And for the price of 2, get 2 for free!"

What he didn't know was that just from his appearance alone, these merchants and traders could tell he was definitely from a wealthy family or was wealthy himself. Despite the ripped ends and slightly tattered sleeves, the designs on his clothes alone were a clear indication. Along side the silver headpiece and the sword pattern, they were smart enough to guess that he was a well-known cultivator.

Beside, just his face was enough. They rarely get the chance to see such a handsome man. Of course it was often that cultivators pass by, their town was a tourist attraction. But just because one was a cultivator didn't always mean one was handsome. This man however, he was definitely charming, his confused and surprised features said so. 

Jiang Cheng navigated himself through the crowd of merchants shoving stuff in front of his face. He resisted the urge to take out Zidian. He was not mean, but it was quite annoying to keep refusing why the other party continues to insist.

Once he was out of the crowd of merchants, he crossed into a less busy street. Weirdly, it was more like a deserted one. Not a soul was around and every door and window was closed. He continued walking, everything around him felt strange, distorted almost.

After a while, he had to wonder, where was Lan Xichen? The last thing he remembered was walking aimlessly in that fog covered forest. But he woke up here, so the one that brought him here must be... He shook his head. Jiang Cheng, what are you thinking. How embarrassing.  (A/N: what did you think Jiang Cheng???Tell us!!!)

He continued his search. Though after noon passed, his efforts were still fruitless. He could only stomp his foot in anger. Where was that man? He took out some coins and bought a bun, continuing to search around the town. Street after street. This wasn't a particularly large town. To a cultivator like him, getting through every street was fast and relatively easy.

The sun started to set. Jiang Cheng felt hopeless. He took a seat a the door of a temple and sighed, putting his hand to his temple. Should he just give up?

Just then a candied hawthorn was shoved against his lips. Jiang Cheng looked up in shock. he didn't sense any malicious intentions, so it was surprising. He was a flash from breaking the legs of the person who initiated this interactions when he glanced up and discovered, it was a kid...

They stared awkwardly at each other. Then the kid coughed to end the silence and smiled, "You looked sad. I thought this would cheer you up!"

JC: "..." ಠ_ಠ

The kid just smiled charmingly again and took a bite from his own stick of candied hawthorn. "Aren't you going to take it? My arm is getting tired."

Jiang Cheng hesitantly took the stick of sweets, still surprised from how natural the kid was with offering a stranger food. Besides, the kid had on the robes of the GusuLan Sect. That pattern was unique in itself, and not to forget the weird forehead ribbons they always wore.

"You know, my younger brother would love this. Uncle is too harsh. He always makes us copy the rules. It makes me hate the GusuLan Sect a bit," the little kid pouted.

Jiang Cheng snickered. He never thought he'd ever encounter a GusuLan sect student that complained about the rules before.

"Aren't you from the GusuLan sect yourself?"

"That doesn't count. Hey! Don't tell my uncle okay? I'll buy you another one next time."

Seeing the kid's scared pouting face, Jiang Cheng couldn't help teasing him.

"You know. I can't possibly lie. And your uncle seems like he would want to hear the truth..." he could see tears welling up "BUT of course I'll only tell if he asks. Which I doubt he will right?"

The little kid smiled again, joy seeping out of him. Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes, he forgot how easy it was to manage children.

"Anyways, shouldn't you go back now? It's quite late already."

"Uhm" was the only reply before the kid stood up and grabbed his hand, walking to who knows where.

Jiang Cheng assumed it was safer at night to walk the kid back anyways so he didn't protest. But after walking for a while, they still reached nowhere.

"Hey do you even know where we're going?"

He stopped and bend lower to see of the kid was alright. But when the other turned around, there was a clear panicked expression.

"I remember going this way back to my sect. But nothing's here,... hic.." he started tearing up again.

Jiang Cheng could only pat his head and comfort him a bit. He frowned, was this kid kidnapped? Lost memories perhaps? This was clearly Mistfall Valley. What kind of an idiot left a GusuLan Sect kid here and told them this city was Gusu? 

"Kid, this is Mistfall Valley. How did you end up here?"

"I.. I don't know. I only remember uncle telling us to buy what we want and come back before bedtime."

Jiang Cheng once again felt dumfounded, WHAT KIND OF UNCLE TELLS THEIR KID ITS OKAY TO ROAM AROUND THE STREETS ALONE???

"How about you tell me your name? I could take you back."

"I'm Lan Huan, courtesy name Lan Xichen."

JC: "..."

He stood up and face palmed. (;'Д') How did this happen? The little kid behind him thought he was about to leave and grabbed his robes pitifully.

"Gege don't leave me. I'm scared!"

Who's your Gege? Your uncle's your gege! Your whole family line is Gege! He turned back around and tried to yank his robe out of the child's grip.

"Alright, alright. Let's find somewhere to rest first. I don't think it's smart to travel at night. I'll bring you to Gusu tomorrow, promise," especially not safe since now, this man was a ... child!

They made their way back to the inn from before. Jiang Cheng hopelessly thought: what was he going to do now?